Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Well, I am here in the Mile High city. The altitude is not kicking my ass as much as usual, but I still get winded walking up a flight of stairs. Oh, sea level, how I miss you and your ample amounts of oxygen. Here are few thoughts on my trip so far.

The Good:  It snowed yesterday! I woke up to a lovely winter wonderland. It was only about an inch so it will probably be melted by the weekend but at least I got my snow. Also, my niece (who is turning 16 next week and drove me around yesterday. Gah!) just got a new puppy. Lucky for me I am staying with her and my sister-in-law this visit. So, I get to spend the next 10 days with the most adorable 9 week old black lab. I might just die of cuteness overload.

The Bad: Seeing my pregnant sister-in-law is harder than I anticipated. (This is a different sister-in-law than the one I am staying with) SH's brother and his wife are expecting their 2nd child. Both were conceived with IVF so it should actually be an easier pregnancy for me to handle. But, this is the worst I have felt around a pregnancy. (I have been trying to follow my acupuncturist's advice and not drink but that went out the window on the first day. Wine is the only way I will get through this) I think the main reason is she did her IVF cycle a few weeks after me this summer so had mine worked I would be a few weeks ahead of her in my pregnancy. I think seeing her belly is just a constant reminder of where I had hoped to be right now. I have many other reasons for feeling a little bitter about her, in particular, having another child. I think that deserves a post all it's own, though.

The Ugly: I am ovulating. As we speak. While it's not likely we are going to get pregnant the old fashioned way, it also isn't impossible. So we keep trying. Only this time we had to sneak away from relatives to have awkward baby-making sex and hoping no one came looking for us. Not sexy time at all. Sigh. This also means that in about 2 weeks, barring a christmas baby miracle, I should be starting stims for IVF #3. Yay?

11 comments:

  1. Yey for snow!

    Humph to pregnant bellies.

    I hope you can find time to sneak about, you never know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know, indeed. I have sent my request into Santa.

      Delete
  2. I tried stopping wine. I also tried stopping coffee. Neither took. In my humble opinion, this IVF crap is hard enough on its own without taking away the occasional pleasure. If you're a raging alcoholic? Yeah, you should probably stop. If our eggs are as crappy as people seem to think, I don't think a sip of wine here or there is really the issue. Cheers to sneaky Christmas baby making sex!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I haven't really been able to give up alcohol despite my efforts. I stick to the occasional red wine now. I feel like most of the dietary stuff I am doing isn't going to make a bit of difference but I have to feel like I tried everything.

      Delete
  3. Yay for snow! Love the snow, especially this time of year.

    Sorry you have to deal w/ seeing your pregnant sil so much.

    Lol on sneaking away for baby making sex. Hopefully, you'll be able to have a bit of fun with that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, sneaking away for sex would have been exciting before TTC. But somehow doing it because your ovulating takes the dangerous thrill out of it.

      Delete
  4. So exciting about the new puppy!
    I am sorry about having to encounter pregnancies around the holiday - this time of the year is teh absolute hardest. (((HUGS))) I am hoping #3 will be the charm and next year will be a whole world different for you. Yay! for starting the countdown to stims. January was the luuky month for us.
    ICLW #51

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi from ICLW. Hard to deal with pregnancy that isn't your own around the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was in Denver this year I could not get over how much the altitude and lack of humidity bothered me. It was completely unexpected. Moisturizing lotion and a hotel humidifier were my salvation.

    Wishing you well on this cycle. It's good to have something to look forward to in the new year too.

    From ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still hoping for a white Christmas! Good luck handling your SIL's pregnancy over the holidays. Be kind to yourself and try to step away as much as possible if it gets to be too much.

    ReplyDelete