Thursday, January 17, 2013

coming up for air

A few days ago I decided to start watching Down.ton Abbey. And that's all I have been doing for the last 3 days. That and eating brownies. I am not sure why it took me so long to jump on the bandwagon, but now I am obsessed. The most important lesson I have learned: women do not have opinions until they get married and then their husbands will tell them what their opinions are. I have asked SH to provide me with a list of my opinions. 



My marathon was briefly interrupted this morning by a trip to see Dr. N for an endometrial biopsy. I had come across a couple articles that claimed nicking the uterus the cycle before IVF could help improve implantation.  I guess the theory is that the lining will grow back "stickier." I first asked my acupuncturist about it since she specializes in fertility to see what she had heard about it. She told me her sister-in-law in Israel had it done because she was dealing with IF and got pregnant. Needless to say,  she was eager for me to try it but wasn't so sure my RE would agree to it since he can be a little conservative. It also isn't common practice in the US from what I can tell.  Well, much to my surprise, I talked to Dr. N about it and he said he had no objections.  After talking to my nurse, I determined that Dr. N is not at all convinced it works so he doesn't recommend it, but also doesn't think it can do any harm so he is willing to try it if that's what we want. He told me this morning that he had done it on one other patient who had read the same articles and studies that I had. She had multiple failed IVF's and wanted to try it. She is now in her 2nd trimester. I guess he needs more than one case before he believes it makes a difference. I am just happy he was willing to do it. I wasn't sure what to expect and was really nervous because my acupuncturist kept telling me how much it would hurt.  I was starting to question my sanity for requesting this painful procedure.  Either I am a masochist or just willing to try absolutely anything to see that 2nd line.  It definitely hurt but it was manageable. The valium and motrin probably helped. Mostly the valium.

Also,  Finding a way out of IF and No Good Eggs have nominated me for a Liebster Award.  Now that I am through my Down.ton Abbey marathon, I can start working on answering and asking questions.

8 comments:

  1. It is so cool to see the Liester Award continue on! It is has me find so many new blogs! I just started Downton Abby this week too! Only one episode donw so far, as I am only letting myself watch it while I work out - but it is giving me motivation to get to the gym this weekend! I loved the first episode!

    I look forward to hearing how your cycle goes after trying this procedure! Maybe I should ask about it too as I habve read abotu it a few places!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My doctor won't do the endo biopsy until after my first IVF has failed. Crossing my fingers I won't need it, but most likely I probably will. Here's hoping it works for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm intrigued now, what is done when 'nicking the uterus'? I haven't heard of that before. Anyway, I hope it will help you with your upcoming cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend had me watch an episode of Downton Abbey last Spring and I really couldn't get into it, she gave me season 1&2 as a Christmas gift, so maybe I'll give it another go as you are all raving about it. To add to your data, I have a patient who is currently pregnant (actually she may have delivered) who failed 2 IVFs and did the endo bx just before her third successful cycle (she was in her early 40s, but the clinic did only single embryo transfers). I performed one for a patient who is doing a cycle with donor egss this month, she failed two IVFs with her own eggs, so it's not really an accurate comparison, but her RE wanted to give her the best chance possible for it to work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My RE does uterine nicking for EVERY single IVF patient -- it's totally a thing! And a respected, scientifically proven thing, so glad to hear you went through with it. I just had mine done a week ago; annoying, but hopefully will lead to some results. :) And yeah, Downton -- I'm totes on board with that. Have you seen the Tumblr feed of Edith with googly eyes?? Hilarious! http://edithwithgooglyeyes.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been watching Downton but slowly...I find the episodes are pretty heavy or maybe I just have a shit attention span. Either way, I don't think I could do a DT marathon! I also had the endo biopsy, so we'll see how this cycle turns out. I'm glad your RE was willing to try it. I think as long as it's in the "hey, it can't hurt" category, most of us IFers are willing to try pretty much anything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too haven't heard of the uterine nicking. It sounds interesting (if a bit painful, but what we wouldn't do to get pregnant, right?!) and something I should look into.

    I've not heard of Downtown Abby either. We don't have a tv, plus not all shows make it here to Finland or are behind the US.

    Good luck with this cycle. I hope the nicking does it for you!
    Here from ICLW.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh interesting, nicking is a new concept to me too. Do you have any links to good articles?

    ReplyDelete