Wednesday, January 23, 2013

It's electrifying!

And now because of the title I just gave this post, I have the Grease soundtrack running through my head. Thanks, self.



Anyway.

Today I had some supercharged acupuncture. Usually as I get closer to starting an IVF cycle, I get a little electrical stimulation added to my normally relaxing acupuncture session to really wake everything up. It doesn't hurt, mostly just feels like vibrating and pulsing, but it certainly doesn't allow me to fall asleep like I usually do. She started the session by telling me she wanted to expand on the endometrial biopsy I had last week and would be putting a couple of needles in deep so they would touch my uterus. Say what?!??! Um, no, thank you. That does not sound like something you should be able to do. Surprisingly, this was not painful. Once the needle is in, I can't actually feel what she is doing with it. She did the same thing for each ovary and I did feel a twinge of pain as the needle touched,  but it didn't last long. She then attached what looked like mini jumper cables to the needles that were touching my uterus and ovaries and started electrifying me. So now my ovaries are recharged and ready for some serious egg making and hopefully my uterus is good and ready for an embryo to implant.



And that's the latest in "What will Jen do this week in her attempt to procreate?"

27 comments:

  1. I'm a new follower and have enjoyed reading. I've heard of that kind of acupuncture before but never being able to place the needles deep enough to touch inner organs/structures. That's crazy but I really hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following. I love new bloggy friends!

      Delete
  2. Hey, whatever works, right? There's lots of great info out there about the benefits of acupuncture...but I just can't seem to get over the fact that there's little needles sticking out of me everywhere and I can't relax. I'd love to be able to fall asleep there like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given my needle phobia, I can't believe I actually relax. I think she sticks the needles in places meant to relax you because I feel like a wet noodle for hours afterward.

      Delete
  3. I've had electro acu several times, I always have a feeling it has to be working in some way, right? My acu says it helps with circulation so it gets all those vitamins we are religiously taking to where they need to go, yay for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My acu said something about trying to increase blood flow to my uterus so it makes sense that it would help with circulation.

      Delete
  4. I've done this too. I kind of like "feeling" like something's working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I don't feel anything in regular acupuncture so it's hard to believe it's doing any good sometimes.

      Delete
  5. I had electro stim acupuncture today too! We are trying to get my ovaries to ovulate! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we need to give our lady parts a kick in the ass, I guess.

      Delete
  6. I loved your post. I am all for acupuncture tx, and am so curious about the electro stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew more about the science behind it. I know she was trying to increase blood flow. It's basically acupuncture on steroids.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing this info, I had the song from Grease in my head as soon as I read your title!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Grease!
    I too have had this done once or twice. It's kind of fun. I always got giggly with acupuncture and then very very warm. Good luck with charged ovaries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. giggly? I can't say I've ever been giggly. I actually still get nervous while she's putting the needles in, but once they are in I don't even know they are there.

      Delete
  9. wow! I'm like you, willing to try anything if it might help me get that BFP!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am starting to run out of things to try so something better work soon.

      Delete
  10. Haha, wow, that sounds crazy!! Hopefully it literally gives your lady bits a "jump start" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly they need to be woken up. They have been sleeping on the job.

      Delete
  11. Wow that sounds crazy, but if it works then who cares!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Fascinating! You are super brave.

    "I got chiiiiils. They're multiplyin'." All night. I'm gunna be singing it all night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Once it gets in your head, it stays awhile.

      Delete
  13. Visiting from ICLW - that looks intense! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another new follower here...I *just* had this jumper cables thing done for the first time this week. I concur, it felt wierd and not as relaxing as normal, but I could definitely feel the extra oomph in the needles doing their thing. My friend called me 'Franken-overies' after :) I hope it does everything it needed to do to get you in tip-top baby carrying shape.

    And I love Grease!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I've never heard of that. My acupuncturist puts something called maka on the end of the needles and starts them on fire. They kinda smoke. I thought that was weird. I don't know if I could do this.

    ReplyDelete