Monday, January 14, 2013

Nowhere is safe

This morning I went to the dentist to have my teeth cleaned. Thankfully, I didn't need any x-rays so I avoided having to tell them "No, I am not pregnant. Please shoot me full of as much radiation as you would like."  The dental technician was looking through my file and tells me "Oh, Virginia did your last cleaning. She just had a baby boy." Um, ok. Not sure how that is relevant to my gum health. I don't see the same technician every time I go so it isn't like I have any particular interest in their personal lives. I seriously couldn't pick Virginia out of a lineup. I realize she is just trying to make conversation and has no way of knowing that I don't want to hear random birth announcements so I let it go and stare up at the picture up on the ceiling. Then I start tuning in to the conversation my dentist is having with another patient across the hall. They are telling birth stories. 12 hours of labor and no epidural. Come on! Like a dental cleaning isn't torture enough. Between that, my dog whining to go out at about 5am and the awful traffic I sat in just to get to the dentist, I have been in a terrible mood all day. I just got up on the wrong side of the bed, apparently. Boot camp is in an hour and I really hope that snaps me out of this mood. If it doesn't, I am stopping for brownies on the way home.


14 comments:

  1. OMG I know what you mean! I went to my dentist for a cleaning, and went back a week later to get a filling. In the meantime I had cut all my hair off, and rather than making a normal "OMG, you chopped your hair off!!!' comment she said "You must be pregnant, pregnant ladies always cut their hair" I wound up telling her like 3 times that I was not pregnant. When I left she said "See you in 6 months for your next cleaning, and I bet you will have a big baby belly!!" ugh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brownies sound pretty awesome no matter what. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. How painful. That kind of thing always brings out the absolute WORST in me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hope your day get better. people are stupid, enough said

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been avoiding the dentist as I'm fearing the "are you pregnant?" question as I'm due for X-rays. I'm thinking that this could be the time I blurt out "I'm infertile, thanks for asking" on them. That's rough to hear a double serving of baby talk. The force in the Universe was not with you today. Brownies are definitely in order.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exercise and chocolate are a VERY important combination1 I support you fully! Sometimes you just have to have a bad day! Don't feel bad about a little pity party - we all need one once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sucks. Hope boot camp does the trick. If not, chocolate can't hurt. I'm drowning my troubles with red wine and chocolate chip cookies as I type. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh. I hear ya. Today was just a bad day all around. I hope tomorrow is better. But brownies are always a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unbelievable how the pregnancy topic follows us around! Good for you for heading out to boot camp, I sure be doing the same thing instead of sitting in front of the computer with a glass of Lillet! Here's to a better day tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boot camp and brownies sounds like the perfect combination! :) I know what you mean about the dentist, though. I hate getting X-rays so I always tell them "there's a chance" I could be pregnant... they must be thinking, "Damn that girl's crazy infertile!" by now, seeing as I've been doing this for 2.5 years!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for an award on my blog! http://nogoodeggs.wordpress.com/2013/01/16/awards-season/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ditto on the Liebster.

    http://findingawayoutofif.blogspot.ca/2013/01/liebster.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's official that no where is safe. I went to get waxed prior to my apt tomorrow and the tech asked me what I had planned for the weekend. When I told her I was running a 10K, she mentioned, "Oh my boss runs, she ran a half marathon when she was pregnant" Okay, she was just trying to make conversation. Then went I went to check out, the receptionsit was sharing birth stories with another customer "The birth of my daughter was so easy, I just pushed twice."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh. I actually had the opposite experience at my dentist office (thank goodness). Knowing I was going to start IVF treatment in a few months, I asked him and the hygienist if there was anything I should avoid treatment-wise. He told me that he would treat me the same way he would treat someone pregnant (which meant to not get my cavity filled that day because of the anesthesia). Think he liked to play it on the safe side.

    Then my hygienist told me she had been through IVF. She said to feel free to talk to her if I had any questions. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete