Friday, January 4, 2013

Well, that was disappointing

Today did not go at all as I expected.

My period showed up yesterday right on schedule (sadly, sneaky christmas sex while visiting the in-laws did not provide a miracle, get-out-of-ivf-free card) and like all good infertility patients I immediately called my RE, Dr. N,  to let him know. I have been a little nervous about getting back on the roller coaster, but also ready to get this IVF show on the road. I need to start moving ahead again. I have also been nervous about this first u/s and seeing how many follicles I have these days. I was excited to see if all the supplements and herbs and acupuncture have made any sort of difference, yet terrified that my count would just be worse.

So, this morning I head to Dr. N's office for my baseline u/s and blood work. I even remembered to drink a bunch of water this morning to make the blood draw a little easier. When I made the appointment I was told that Dr. N is on vacation until Monday but apparently it isn't a problem as far as getting my cycle started. I don't go to a big clinic - it's only Dr. N - so there isn't another RE for me to see in his absence.  I was a little disappointed since I wanted to ask him some questions before we got started, but I figured it would work out somehow.  Since Dr. N wasn't in the room for the u/s I had no idea what was going on. He usually tells me what I am looking at and how many follicles they found. The u/s technician does not give me any information at all. As soon as it's done, the nurse takes the printout and goes to call Dr. N and tells me to meet her in her office when I am dressed.  She is already off the phone by the time I get to her office. That can't be good. The good news is I have 9 follicles. 9! That's the most I have had in the last 2 1/2 years. Woohoo! During my last IVF cycle I had 6. The bad news is I also have a cyst. It's 1.3mm and their cutoff for proceeding with a cycle is 1.2mm. Great. They say it's no big deal and should go away on it's own and we will just postpone to next month. I am actually glad the cyst is big enough for them to postpone this cycle. I think if it was smaller and we moved ahead and it didn't work, I would always wonder if it was the cyst and we should have waited. I want the best conditions possible for my embryos so snuggle in and make themselves at home.

So again I wait. Our 3 month break had already turned into 4 months because of the holidays. Now it's another month of waiting. I am tired of waiting. I had planned on this month being full of doctor's appointments and injections. I even got a pedicure the other day and got turquoise nail polish in anticipation of spending a lot of time in stirrups over the next 2 weeks. Now I don't know what to do with myself.  I haven't made any other plans. Sigh.

On the plus side, CoQ10, DHEA, melotonin, and chinese herbs are working. Or at least one of them is. Now they'll just have a little more time to work their magic.

21 comments:

  1. Oh no! That sucks that you have to wait. But yay for 9 follies! Hopefully you will be looking back at this later and thinking that the extra month was no big deal, but it's crappy in the meantime. So much waiting with this IVF stuff...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, but just so annoying. I am plotting how to keep myself busy this month.

      Delete
  2. Well done for at least managing to sneak away and have sex with the in-laws, that is no easy feat! The improvement with the follicles is encouraging, and maybe the extra time for the supplement's effect will be a key to success! NB, I've wasted two bikini waxes on appointments that got cancelled, I really should consider the pedicure, my toes are horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just re-read my comment, that should read "well done for at least managing to sneak away and have sex AT the in-laws" So sorry!

      Delete
    2. Haha. Just one little word and now my life is a soap opera. There will definitely be no sex WITH the in-laws.

      Delete
  3. Sorry about the cyst, I hate waiting, who doesn't? So frustrating! A lot in this process is waiting, unfortunately, totally sucks! Well, you'll have more bootcamp and will be in better shape for next cycle, glass half full right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Trying to psych myself up for boot camp now. I was mentally prepared for doctor ordered laziness.

      Delete
  4. That's great to know that your vitamins/herbs are working because I am on some of the same ones. What Chinese herbs are you taking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, I don't know what's in my chinese herbs. I really don't want to know if I am ingesting goat placenta or something.

      Delete
  5. I hate waiting! It seems everything in IF land takes twice as long as everything in real life. Glad though that you will have a cycle next time that you can have no regrets about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? It's so frustrating to have my life revolve around my menstrual cycle. Ugh.

      Delete
  6. I think you are right, it's good that the cyst was big enough to postpone the cycle because otherwise you would be extra worried. Good luck next time around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly have plenty to be worried about without adding a cyst to the list.

      Delete
  7. The same thing happened to me when we were getting ready to start IVF at the end of November. It got pushed back until after the holidays (I'm now on day 8 of injections). I was really pissed about it at the time, but I do want to make sure we're giving ourselves the best possible chance. And I'm sure you want the same thing. Hope this month flies by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your almost there! Good luck on this cycle!!!

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear about your delay. That sucks. Waiting is so hard. It is good to let that cyst go away though. Hope the next month flies by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog and look forward to following you (successful!) journey in 2013! I too had a cycle delayed by a cyst. It was a very disappointing and unexpected bump in the road after everything else we had been through. Mine was about twice that size and they actually put me on Zovia for two months to shrink it down. I hope that it goes away quickly and you can get back on track! I look forward to cheering for you this year! Please feel free to stop by my blog anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really hate waiting. Waiting is one of the most stressful parts of all of this.

    There might be an upside: you won't be among the crush of patients cycling in January after having to wait out the holidays. So perhaps your RE will be able to give you more attention.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes it is easier if the decision is off our plate so to speak. I had some delays in the past and i can honestly say it all worked out. you would have been extra worried, and not something you need right now. no worries we will all be here when the cyst is gone and you are ready to go! enjoy bootcamp the medical laziness is one of the hardest parts for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm very sorry for the additional wait and I hope this next cycle is perfection! Thank you for the kind words. I'm sorry your stopped by my blog when I seem to be posessed by some type of evil angry devil. I promise I'm not always angry!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello! I know this is kinda off topic but I was
    wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment
    form? I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having difficulty finding one?
    Thanks a lot!

    my webpage how to lose weight quickly

    ReplyDelete