Today did not go at all as I expected.
My period showed up yesterday right on schedule (sadly, sneaky christmas sex while visiting the in-laws did not provide a miracle, get-out-of-ivf-free card) and like all good infertility patients I immediately called my RE, Dr. N, to let him know. I have been a little nervous about getting back on the roller coaster, but also ready to get this IVF show on the road. I need to start moving ahead again. I have also been nervous about this first u/s and seeing how many follicles I have these days. I was excited to see if all the supplements and herbs and acupuncture have made any sort of difference, yet terrified that my count would just be worse.
So, this morning I head to Dr. N's office for my baseline u/s and blood work. I even remembered to drink a bunch of water this morning to make the blood draw a little easier. When I made the appointment I was told that Dr. N is on vacation until Monday but apparently it isn't a problem as far as getting my cycle started. I don't go to a big clinic - it's only Dr. N - so there isn't another RE for me to see in his absence. I was a little disappointed since I wanted to ask him some questions before we got started, but I figured it would work out somehow. Since Dr. N wasn't in the room for the u/s I had no idea what was going on. He usually tells me what I am looking at and how many follicles they found. The u/s technician does not give me any information at all. As soon as it's done, the nurse takes the printout and goes to call Dr. N and tells me to meet her in her office when I am dressed. She is already off the phone by the time I get to her office. That can't be good. The good news is I have 9 follicles. 9! That's the most I have had in the last 2 1/2 years. Woohoo! During my last IVF cycle I had 6. The bad news is I also have a cyst. It's 1.3mm and their cutoff for proceeding with a cycle is 1.2mm. Great. They say it's no big deal and should go away on it's own and we will just postpone to next month. I am actually glad the cyst is big enough for them to postpone this cycle. I think if it was smaller and we moved ahead and it didn't work, I would always wonder if it was the cyst and we should have waited. I want the best conditions possible for my embryos so snuggle in and make themselves at home.
So again I wait. Our 3 month break had already turned into 4 months because of the holidays. Now it's another month of waiting. I am tired of waiting. I had planned on this month being full of doctor's appointments and injections. I even got a pedicure the other day and got turquoise nail polish in anticipation of spending a lot of time in stirrups over the next 2 weeks. Now I don't know what to do with myself. I haven't made any other plans. Sigh.
On the plus side, CoQ10, DHEA, melotonin, and chinese herbs are working. Or at least one of them is. Now they'll just have a little more time to work their magic.