Sunday, February 10, 2013

Fertilization report

The retrieval went great yesterday. I had to be at the clinic at 6:45 in the morning (!) and was home by 9:00. My pre-op instructions told me to bring socks. So I went with these:



I was a little nervous about getting the IV put in. I have had a couple really bad experiences with nurses trying to get the IV in and not being able to find a good vein and having to poke and prod me until they finally figure it out. In the meantime, I nearly passed out while they were torturing my poor arm. Thankfully, I have had much better experiences at my RE's office. I had the same anesthesiologist for my first 2 IVF's and he is amazing. He had that IV in my arm before I even realized he had started. Quick and painless! Imagine my dismay when I found out he is out of town and I would have a new anesthesiologist this time.  It wasn't quite as painless but it was still quick. Once I got through that it was just a nice medically induced slumber.

When I woke up, Dr. N told me he got 6 eggs. Yay. 2 excellent, 3 good and 1 poor quality. I assume they were all mature. Normally he just tells me how many mature eggs he got. I have never been told about egg quality before. Just embryo quality. (SH said he was told the egg quality in our previous cycles. I guess he never thought to mention it to me.) Overall, pretty good news. I've been a little sore but not so bad that I have had to take any pain medication.

This morning Dr. N called with our fertilization report.  According to him, the eggs not only have to be mature but have to have a polar body that allows them to be fertilized. Without this polar body, no fertilization. Apparently, 3 of our eggs had the polar body yesterday and were ICSI'd. 2 fertilized. The other 3 eggs developed this polar body later and were ICSI'd today. I'll find out tomorrow how many of those actually fertilized. Dr. N said there is a lower fertilization rate for these eggs that are "late" so realistically he expects maybe 1 to fertilize. So, as of now I only have 2 fertilized with the possibility of up to 3 more, but probably only 1 more. Not such great news. With these numbers I will definitely be doing a 3 day transfer.

I have to admit, I was a little over confident about this part. During our last cycle we had 100% fertilization so I wasn't worried about it this time. I was more worried about the embryos continuing to grow and eventually implant. So, I was expecting a call saying 5 eggs had fertilized (I figured the poor quality egg wouldn't make it). Needless to say, I am pretty disappointed. I am trying not to get too discouraged, though. I have let go of any hope of having any to freeze, but I am still trying to have hope that I can (will?) get pregnant this cycle.

I am trying to stay relaxed before the transfer, so today I got a massage then SH and I got tacos at our current favorite taco place. It's a nice day out so we walked there with the dog and sat outside. It's helped to keep me from obsessing over my embryos. Or whether I should have stimmed an extra day. Or whether everything I have done over the last few months made any sort of difference. Or...you get the idea.

16 comments:

  1. I love your socks! Such a cool way to make a stressful day kind of fun. I'm wishing absolutely all the best for you. Try to stay chill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your socks rock. i am thinking only the best ths for you. all of this never makes sense. we had one cycle with a wonky fert rate and it meant nothing. stay positive and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You already know this, but it only takes one!! And I am sending you TONS of great vibes for this cycle. Stay positive and keep us posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am excited for you! 2 is great and a 3 day transfer is very exciting. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry the numbers aren't quite what you were hoping for, but you've got enough to work with. if you don't mind my asking, what is the reason for doing the transfer on day 3?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I have so few embryos, there would be a pretty high risk that I would have nothing to transfer on day 5. They could all stop growing! It's entirely possible that an embryo that wouldn't survive in the lab would survive in my uterus so I would rather put it back where it should be instead of taking the risk.

      Delete
  6. Two is good!! It only takes one! I understand totally that it's hard for you to stay hopeful right now, so let us do that for you and keep us updated. Sending sooo many good vibes. Oh, and I LOVE those socks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for a good retrieval!
    I know it is said "it only takes one"...and I hated hearing that when we were in the midst of TTC, but on our last IVF, we had 3 embryos that were good. We transferred two, one is now our little boy and 1 is still frozen. You don't always need a lot of embryos, but it does make the mind feel a bit better about it.
    Thinking amazing thoughts for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know what? Your retrieval numbers are pretty darn close to what mine were last month. I'm not saying that as some kind of testimony that you should have faith 'cause look what happened to me (especially considering that mine are all on ice right now and we still don't know if their quality is ultimately high enough to turn into a person) - but just that I understand the immense roller coaster of the days waiting for reports when you don't have huge numbers to start with. Judging by this blog post? You're doing a LOT better than I did.

    Best wishes in the coming days and weeks. I need some of my DOR sisters to start getting positives. Think you can swing that for us? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying my hardest! I would love to blaze a trail for some DOR pregnancies :)

      Delete
  9. Love your socks!!

    Try not to think about the woulda-shoulda-couldas and instead focus on think positively. I hope a few of the late fertilizers catch up!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eeeee! So exciting! I understand your disappointment at the number of perfectly fertilized, perfectly growing little embies, but as it's said over and over again in this community, it only takes one. Fingers crossed you get a strong BFP in 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely love the socks. It sure does make the situation a lot lighter when you add some fun. I never did get a lot of eggs myself, so didn't have eggs to freeze on my first IVF. 2nd IVF was cancelled due to only one follicle growing, so turned into an unsuccessful iui. Then using an egg donor, we did get 1 good frozen and 1 not-so-good-but-they-froze-it-anyway embryos. I hope that you do get one or two to save for later, but more importantly I hope that in 2 weeks you will be announcing your bfp!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sending very positive vibes your way! It may not be the numbers you hoped for, but it definitely sounds like you will make it to the transfer and we all all hoping that that results in a very healthy baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry you didn't get the news you were hoping for, but this is still good news. Hopefully you've got a couple more embryos by now! Wishing you the best for this cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's so stressful to wait for these results. Sending good thoughts your way and hope you have for a smooth transfer as well.

    ReplyDelete