Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day

I'll start by saying that I am not really a big fan of Valentine's Day. Never really have been.  The whole thing seems so forced and marketed to me. I'm kind of a cynic. Ok, not kind of, I am a cynic.



When SH and I were getting ready to spend our first Valentine's Day together, I told him I didn't want to do anything special. I didn't need to go out to a fancy dinner or make a big deal out of it.  That year it happened to fall on a weekday and we were both working long hours so it we decided to just hang out together at his place. I got off work earlier than him and was just waiting for him to call and let me know he was home so I could head over. He kept calling to tell me he was working late but he would leave as soon as he could. Ok. No big deal. Since I don't care about Valentine's Day I certainly didn't think my night would be ruined or anything. Finally, he calls to tell me he is home and to come over. I walked into his apartment and he had set up his kitchen table in the middle of the living room with candles and candy hearts scattered all over. He got my absolute favorite candy (Cad.bury Dairy Milk. The kind from the UK, not the crap they make in the US) and broke it up into squares and made a heart on my plate. He got pizza from our favorite pizza place. So all that time he kept telling me he was still at work he was really getting his apartment ready. It was very sweet and romantic. No one had ever done anything like that for me before. I softened a little on my disdain for the holiday. He also got me a necklace from Tiffany. I never thought I would be the girl to get excited over a blue box. But I was so excited to get that blue box.

Since then it has been our tradition to stay home and get pizza on Valentine's Day. SH usually sends me flowers but we don't really do gifts anymore. Six years ago (and 6 years after that first Valentine's Day), I was working with a woman who wanted nothing more than to be proposed to that Valentine's Day. She talked about it for weeks.* I just kept thinking how cliche that was. That day I got flowers, as usual, from SH. Then I got more flowers. And more flowers. One bouquet of flowers didn't even make it to me because it got delivered to the wrong place yet I was still just surrounded by flowers (SH was upset that his whole plan was ruined because of that). The cards all had important dates - my birthday and the day we met among others. The last read " February 14, 2007 -?" By then I, and everyone in my office, knew I was getting proposed to that night. Until that moment, I honestly had no idea he was planning this. I got home that night to find our apartment transformed into a re-creation of our first Valentine's Day. Candles, candy hearts, Dairy Milk and pizza. Only when I opened the pizza box, it was filled with wedding magazines and a little black box. He even went to the original pizza place, which we now live 30 minutes from, just to get the right box. I loved it. Later, I asked him why he would do it on Valentine's when he knows I don't like the holiday. He said he decided on that first Valentine's Day, because my eyes lit up and I was so happy, that if he were ever to propose to me that that's how he would do it. 

So now we don't really celebrate Valentine's Day as much as our anniversary of getting engaged. We still have pizza and I still get flowers but nothing pink or red or covered in hearts is ever purchased. This year, in an attempt to somewhat stay true to our fertility diet, we are making our own pizza. That way we can have whole wheat dough and organic cheese.  Since I am technically still on bed rest, it will be up to SH and he has decided to make the dough from scratch. This will definitely be interesting.

* She did not get engaged that day. She was very bitter about the fact that I did. Her boyfriend was an atheist and she wanted to raise her kids catholic. It would have never worked.

13 comments:

  1. Cute story! Hope you enjoy some delicious pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I love this! What a great engagement story and how sweet of your husband! I know this is probably not nice of me, but I literally laughed outloud at your follow up that your co-worker did not get engaged and was bitter that you did. It's not really funny.

    But kind of, it is. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt a little bad writing it but her jealousy was palpable. I haven't kept in touch with her but I see other co-workers from that time and they always say "remember how jealous K was when you got engaged?" She was just one of those girls who desperately wanted to get married and it didn't matter who the groom was.

      Delete
    2. I laughed too! An evil laugh.

      Delete
  3. Such a touching story, I'm also a big cynic and think Valentine's day is silly, but reading this totally made me melt. I also enjoyed the end when your colleague didn't get engaged!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that's a great story! how romantic :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So your SH is also a romantic saboteur! What a great story, hope you guys had a lovely eveing with your homemade pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the pizza turned out well. Making crust from scratch is always a challenge. DH is brave!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww! That is such a sweet story, and what a great tradition! Hope you guys had a great night and enjoyed your homemade pizza :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a SWEET guy!!!! Awww... that is AWESOME!!!! I love this story! Thanks so much for sharing! You are a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, that is SUCH a cute story! I agree - hate Valentine's Day in principle, but whenever my man does something sweet for me, I can't help but get a little melty inside. When does your bed rest end?? You have to tell us when you start testing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate V-Day. Love the tradition! Love your blog! ;-)

    ReplyDelete