Sunday, February 17, 2013

We are going to be terrible parents

Ok, we aren't, really.  I don't actually believe that. But, a funny thing happened this weekend...

A friend of SH's, who lives about 2 hours away, decided to come spend Saturday night at our house with his 2 1/2 year old daughter. Friend's wife is trying to finish her PhD dissertation and he wanted to give her some kid-free space to get some work done. Now, having this particular child come to visit doesn't bother me or stress me out. She is too adorable. You can't help but smile when she's around so I was happy for the distraction. After they got to our house on Saturday, Friend had to get something from the car so asked if we could keep an eye on Child. Of course. No problem. SH takes her over to pet one of our cats and before I know what's happening, Child is in hysterical tears. The cat got a little feisty and wanted to play and when this particular cat wants to play she sometimes bites. And Child got bitten. She wasn't hurt, just startled. She was crying so hard, she couldn't even get words out to tell us where she was hurt. I felt bad that I couldn't pick her up thanks to my RE's crazy restrictions on lifting anything over 5 pounds. Thankfully, SH came in to save the day and comforted her (*swoon*). She was fine and was even petting that same cat today so it wasn't even bad enough for her to be scared of the cat.  Friend, of course, wasn't concerned. They have 3 cats and a huge dog so she gets swatted at and knocked over all the time. But, I still felt bad.

I know it's not a big deal. Kids cry. A lot. We were even joking about it today. "Remember when we made that kid cry?" But the fact remains...we were left alone with a toddler and had her in tears within 2 minutes.


The vicious child biting cat

7 comments:

  1. Oh this story made me smile :) I loved the part about your husband coming to the rescue and you swooning, which makes my own heart melt a little. Made me laugh when you said you had her crying within 2 minutes. I'm sorry. I couldn't help it. I am absolutely certain you will be GREAT parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the toddler wasn't scared of the cat after the bite! and good for you for following the RE's instructions. I was terrible at that last time and I want to try harder this time around... and I'm sure you will be amazing parents!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh dear! feeling like you've contributed to toddler tears is not part of an ideal Saturday. the fact that you all had her comfortable enough to play with the bitey cat post-nip is evidence that you will, indeed, be good parents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Concuring! the little girl was petting the cat that end of the day shows you two thought her an important lesson about facing up to one's fears, so yes you will make great parents!
    NB your cat is totally adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha your vicious kitty is so cute! But you had her face her fears so that makes you WONDERFUL future parents!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Toddlers sometimes are in tears every two minutes anyway - so I think you are safe. ;-)
    You will be great parents. Like everyone else has already mentioned, said toddler was fine enough to try again later. A++

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am terrified about what one of my cats, in particular, is going to do with a child in the house. But you two handled it well, and you're going to be awesome parents!

    ReplyDelete