Monday, March 11, 2013

We finally have our answer





It's TWINS!!!! I have 2 babies cooking in there.

(I can't even begin to tell you how relieved I am that it isn't triplets.  I did not want to deal with making the decisions that would have come with there being triplets.)

After reading so many infertility blogs and seeing so many early ultrasound pictures, I sort of knew what I was looking for so I knew it was twins as soon as she started. I guess the ultrasound tech (we got our favorite one today) turned to SH and held up 2 fingers to let him know since he didn't have a great view of the screen from where he was sitting. Both had heartbeats. We saw and heard them both. It was kind of amazing. I teared up a little. They sounded good and strong. They didn't tell us where they were measuring or what the heart rate was and we decided not to ask. Those things can vary so much at this stage that we decided knowing exact numbers would probably just make us worry unnecessarily. I figure if something is wrong or there is need to be concerned, they will tell us.

The sort of bad news is there is apparently a minor separation of the placenta from the uterus. The nurse said this is pretty common and she sees it at least a couple times a week. It usually resolves itself and no one seemed especially concerned about it. I have to add PIO shots (in addition to the vaginal progesterone I am already taking) and limit my activity until it works itself out. Just when I thought I had managed to avoid PIO shots. I go back in a week for another ultrasound.

The nurse actually gave me the first PIO shot at the clinic this morning so she could show SH how to do it.  The only way I have been able to handle all the injections and blood draws is by lying down any time a needle is stuck in me. This system has pretty much eliminated all fainting and light-headedness.  Because of the location of the PIO shot I couldn't lay down so I just had to try and keep my head low. The shot didn't even hurt but it still got me. I got so, so, so light-headed. I had to sit in the waiting room with my head between my knees and sent SH to get the car. I wandered out in front when I thought he would be there but it took him longer than I anticipated. I had to sit down on the sidewalk, which was slightly damp from the grass just having been watered. When that didn't help I just had to lay down on the sidewalk. On a very busy, major street in Beverly Hills. One couple did actually stop to ask if I was ok. I felt like a psychology experiment to see how many people would stop and help a random woman laying on the sidewalk. Many people failed. Oh well. Thankfully I didn't actually need any help.

It's finally starting to feel more real. I am excited, but completely overwhelmed, at the idea of twins. This is going to be quite the adventure.

41 comments:

  1. Congrats on the great news! I have to agree that not hearing measurements or knowing heartbeat might help ease the stress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayyyy for twins! So glad that there are only two in there and that they have strong heartbeats. Best of luck on the adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! So amazing!! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMAZING NEWS!! Doing a little happy dance for you here :) I think you are so wise not to need specifics - those babies are in there growing, hearts beating, swimming along! So excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for twins! I'm with you, triplets would be a little scary and I would hate the thought of having to make some tough decisions. I am so happy for you. I bet that was amazing to hear their little heartbeats. It's good not to get focused on numbers. They would tell you if you had something to be concerned about.

    Can you believe so many people could just walk right on by you laying down on the sidewalk and not even bother to ask if you were okay? That just blows me away. I hope you do okay with the other PIO injections. How come you can't lay down? Isn't it given in the butt/hip area? I always kneeled on the couch or layed over the side of the bed so I could just lay down when it was done. Then Hubby could massage out the spot. Unless we were in the airport, or at someone elses house. THAT was a whole other scenario that was quite...interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I live in LA so I am somehow not surprised by people's indifference. As for the shots, we tried it with me lying down on my side today and SH seemed to have some trouble finding a good spot. tomorrow I might try just laying over the side of the bed to make it easier on him.

      Delete
  6. BAHHHHH! Wow, Jen. Two? This is amazing. I'm so happy for you guys! Now you'll have as many kids as you would probably have if you got pregnant right away in 2008. ;)

    Also, for a self-proclaimed shy person, I'm proud of you for just going for it and laying down on the ground outside of the clinic! That sounds kind of scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would have ended up on the ground one way or another and I preferred to do it without cracking my head open. Sometimes my shyness is overcome by necessity.

      Delete
  7. Congrats, girlfriend! What a relief there aren't more than two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a relief! I really don't want my own TLC show.

      Delete
  8. Awesome! Twins is perfect! Love it! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. It really is perfect. I had hoped to have 2 kids and this way I get them all at once.

      Delete
  9. Sorry, I am LOLing a little bit at you lying down on the sidewalk. Only because I had to do it in a full elevator once after getting like 16 vials of blood drawn and the looks on people's faces was pretty funny.

    Yay for twins! I'm so glad it's not a million billion for your sake. That would be overwhelming. But then you could give one to all of us! :) Seriously so happy for you right now I almost can't stand it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A full elevator has me beat, for sure.
      If it was a million billion I would have to give babies to all my infertile friends because I just don't have room for that many. Where would I put all those cribs?

      Delete
  10. yayyyyyyyy Congratulations!! so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. I'm so excited for you to get started now :)

      Delete
  11. Just two?? :)

    I am SO incredibly happy for you guys! Ahhhh! Although poo on PIO shots. I am terrified of the possibility of that someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just? haha. We were aiming for 1, so 2 is plenty :)
      The shot isn't as bad as my reaction makes it out to be. For me the anticipation is the worst part. Still, I hope I don't have to do it for too long.

      Delete
  12. Awesome news!! We are still processing the twin thing and we've known for a month now. So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it will take awhile to process. It's going to be crazy but I'm excited for it. My husband is actually a twin so I'm sure my MIL will be offering plenty of advice :)

      Delete
  13. CONGRATS!!! I'm SO excited for you! I know it has been a difficult journey but you are now preggo with 2 times the fun! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yay!!! Congratulations! I just discovered your blog a few weeks ago and I am so hooked. Congrats on twins!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. so very happy for you but sad about the reaction to shots. lets hope the first tri goes quickly and you can be done with PIO. enjoy this most special time and if i could vote i would love to read a post on what you think helped you be successful this cycle. any advice is appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could definitely write a post about what I did differently this cycle. I certainly have my ideas on what I think worked, just no scientific proof of it.

      Delete
  16. WOW! Insane! Although I think we all kinda suspected twinkies... :) I'm impressed that you were confident enough to not request the measurements and heart rates -- I pester my doc for every single bit of info he can give me. But then I stress out about it until the next u/s. So crazy that no one stopped to help you while you were lying on the sidewalk!! What did your husband say when he finally came to get you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband drove right by me at first because he didn't see my lying there. He didn't really seem all that shocked once he did see me. That's not the first time he has seen me in a weird position or place to try to avoid fainting.
      honestly, it was more my husband who suggested we don't get the measurements. I am glad because I am not currently googling what is normal and stressing myself out but I am still curious. I'll probably ask next week.

      Delete
  17. So excited for you -you've waited for this moment for so long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have all waited for too long.

      Delete
  18. TWINS!! Yes! Congratulations!

    I hope that you are able to weather the PIO shots a bit better as the days go on.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will get easier. The anticipation is usually worse than the actual injection for me.

      Delete
  19. Wonderful wonderful news! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great news, and I'm also relieved for you that it isn't triplets. How exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great news!!! I am so happy for you. I'm 21 weeks now with twins after our second IVF cycle and am so excited!! Wishing you all the best on this pregnancy. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! Congrats! I'm new to this blog, but noticed that you mentioned Beverly Hills which is where I'll be going through IVF as well (starting next month). I bet it's the same clinic! Or at least I hope it is because of your awesome news. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful. Twins even?! This is great news. I work for a fertility clinic and the news we have to tell people is not always so great. So congratulations.

    ReplyDelete