Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Growing

The babies are still growing strong. I had an ultrasound yesterday at 9w2d and both babies were measuring at 9w5d (we finally got specifics).  I was so relieved. Despite still having all my pregnancy symptoms, I started getting really worried the night before that one or both would no longer have a heartbeat and that I was only feeling the symptoms because the extra hormones were still in my body. I'm sure I'll continue to have that fear for the next few weeks, but I am actually starting to feel like this is actually happening.  The reality that I am having twins is really starting to sink in and it's a little terrifying sometimes. But also incredibly exciting.

They did see a blood clot on the ultrasound so I have to continue the PIO shots for the next 2 weeks, but only every other day. It explains the spotting I have had for the past week and a half. Fun, right? Dr. N didn't seem very worried about it and expects it to work itself out. He doesn't want to see me for another 2 weeks and at that point he will graduate me to my OB and hopefully let me stop the progesterone and estrogen. 

My belly is also growing. I haven't been able to button my jeans for about 2 weeks, but I am so not ready (or big enough) to buy maternity clothes. For now, I loop a rubber band through the buttonhole and around the button and it works perfectly. At first, it was just my normal belly pooch but I could no longer suck it in.  Now it is definitely turning into more than my normal pooch. I feel like it is SO obvious, but I am sure to anyone other than me or SH, I just look like I had a big lunch. However, at this rate, I don't think I will make it to 12 weeks without people noticing on their own. We have actually started to tell more people. We are feeling more comfortable about the pregnancy, but also SH reasoned that if anything were to go wrong at this point and we lost the babies we would need all the support we can get. so we might as well tell people.  We aren't sending out any mass email or facebook announcements just yet, just slowly telling people as we see and talk to them.

Last week we met with a genetic counselor to go over all of our options for genetic testing. At first, I thought we would do a CVS test but the more I thought about it, the less I wanted to do it. There is about a 1% chance of miscarriage (although I was sent to an expert here in LA and his rate is about .5%) and after everything we have been through I just can't justify taking that chance. There is also very little they would find that would lead us to terminate. I mostly wanted to do it for peace of mind. Or if something did come back abnormal, it would give us the chance to prepare for it. Instead we decided to just do the various blood tests and the NT scan. That way we can get some information without doing anything invasive. We can also get an idea of the genders with the blood test, though it's trickier with twins. The test will detect the presence of the Y chromosome, so if that comes back negative we know we have 2 girls. If it comes back positive, we won't know if there is 1 boy or 2 until we can see it on an ultrasound. SH is pretty convinced it's 2 girls for some reason.

So, that's my uterus update for now. I promise as soon as I start feeling less nauseous and get back out into the world again, I will try to write about something else.

16 comments:

  1. So glad everything is going well for you!! I made it to ten weeks almost at work before people started asking and then I just told people who I saw in person until we were out of the first trimester. Another thing that was great was the bebe band. I think you can get them at target. It helped me get a little further along in my regular pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad things are going well and your little babies are growing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm at 12 weeks and still just look chubby. I haven't gas anyone ask yet, but maybe they've been wondering. We often have little twin freakout moments but it's also so amazingly exciting. Will you share pictures of your little ones?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy everything is going well for you! It must be so exciting to be growing a baby bump :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such exciting news! You'll be flaunting that growing bump before you know it ;) I'm glad that you guys are feeling more secure (I guess the symptoms help with that, as yucky as they are to experience), and able to share your news with people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so amazing that everything is going so well!! Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad everything (other than the blood clot) is going well!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you enjoyed looking at them! 9-10 weeks is my favourite time to scan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy crap time has flown! So glad to hear everything's going along swimmingly. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe you're 9 weeks already. :)

    So so glad everything is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I am so very jealous of your getting an ultrasound at 9 weeks... my last one was 8 weeks and since then I've stopped progesterone altogether, am 11 weeks, and have NO symptoms. Totally freaking out. Anyway, I think you're right to just tell people as you see them and enjoy their excitement, even if it's with a teensie bit of nervousness on your part. Very happy the twinkies are doing good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! So, so incredibly happy for you. I think it's so interesting how much each clinic varies in their treatments. My clinic asks us to do the PIO injections until 12 weeks. Funny that you only have to every other day and YeahScience didn't have to beyond her 8 week appointment. There is just so many different approaches, but I guess there should be, because each person's body is so different! I am so excited for you! Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  13. First time commenter here. I'm 8w3d with twins and am feeling many of the same terrified/excited feelings you have. We've decided against the CVS, as well. Since we are going to have an NT scan, we decided that if anything seems amiss then, we still have the option of doing an amnio at a later date. I look forward to following along with your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad things are going great. To be honest, with that huge beta number I was convinced it was triplets, lol. How wonderful you are having twins! I hope you get a boy and a girl! Do you have a preference?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the happy ultrasound!! I have my next appt tomorrow and can't wait to see the baby again. But of course, it comes with irrational anxiety. I don't know if I'll make it to 12 weeks either, but I don't have the excuse of a twins-belly as a reason. I'm just sick of keeping the secret and if our ultrasound tomorrow at almost 11 weeks is good, I may just spill the beans.

    ReplyDelete