Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sad day

My grandfather died today. It wasn't completely unexpected. He has been sick for years and has been in and out of the hospital. Each hospital stay seemed to take a little more out of him. It has been sad to watch him get weaker and so very frail over the last year so I hope he has found some peace.

He was my last living grandparent and I am sad that I will no longer have that.  I know I am extremely lucky to have had my grandparents around for as long as I did. It makes me sad that my kids won't have that because of how long it took me to have them.  There is no doubt they will lose their grandparents at a much younger age.

In what feels like a weird premonition, a few weeks ago SH got a little teary and thought that we should tell my grandfather about the pregnancy. I wasn't planning on telling my extended family until I got through the first trimester (and still haven't told them) but he was really worried that something would happen and my grandfather would never know. I never did anything about it. I figured we only had  few weeks to wait and what could happen in a few weeks. The one member of my extended family I did tell is one of my aunts. When she called me this morning to tell me about my grandfather, she also told me that she told him I am pregnant and he was really excited for us. It might have been when he was admitted to the hospital a few days ago. I'm not really sure. She was also afraid that something would happen and wanted him to know. I am so grateful to her for that. I just wish he would have had a chance to meet his great-grandchildren.


14 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. You have been indeed very lucky to have your grandfather for this long and so glad your aunt told him the news, he died knowing, that is wonderful. Big hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really sorry for your loss, Jen. He sounds like he meant a lot to you. Hopefully you can find small solace knowing that before he passed, you made him very happy with your news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your loss. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for the loss of your grandfather. Thinking of you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for your loss Jen. It is nice to know that he passed knowing your news and now he will be like a guardian angel for your little ones. I am sending you a big virtual hug

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry for your loss as well, it's tough to lose the last grandparent too. Before working in women's health, I worked in a hospital and took care of a lot of sick and elderly patients, who were waiting for an event (birth, wedding, Yankees winning World Series) before passing. I have the feeling your grandfather knew before your aunt told him

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even if it doesn't come out of the blue it is still hard to lose a loved one. I'm glad he knew about your pregnancy. So sorry for your loss and that he didn't get to meet them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. Sending so many thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear this, Jen. What an amazing thing that you were able to give him in his last days. That is incredible. I'm sure it gave him much peace. Thinking of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So very sorry to hear this news... I'm glad he got to know about the baby, though. It's very hard to cope with death and at the same time focus on the growing life inside you. I'm sure you'll have plenty of wonderful stories and photos of him to share with your future child(ren).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I'm glad that your aunt told him about your pregnancy before he passed and that he was excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry for your loss. My Grandpa passed away last summer and it was very hard. Grandparents definitely hold a special place in our hearts. I'm glad you have the comfort of knowing your aunt shared the news with them. Hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear about your Grandpa. :(

    ReplyDelete