Monday, May 13, 2013

Just stuff

I keep thinking of things to post about, and even start writing it in my head, and then I just don't ever get around to typing it. I'm not sure why. I don't want to abandon my blog, but I also am not quite sure what to write about these days. I am still following along and reading all of your blogs and commenting when I can (for some reason I can't comment on blogger from my laptop since SH changed my internet security settings. I can only do it from my work computer). SH is adorable. He keeps checking with me to make sure I haven't abandoned my blog community. He could see how much having this blog and getting support from all of you amazing ladies helped me and he wants to make sure I am continuing to do the same for all of you. It's really very sweet.

So what's been gong on?


  • I have been back at work for about a month now. I haven't really talked about what I do. Basically, I work freelance on film productions. I'll leave it as general as that. It sounds much more glamorous if I don't tell you exactly what I do on said film production. I didn't work for about a year because of the current state of film production. Practically nothing shoots here in LA. It did when I started this, but over the last several years I have had to spend more and more time working on location which means I am away from home usually for 3-6 months at a time. I have worked in New Orleans, Berlin, Hawaii, Virginia, Kentucky, Chicago and North Carolina over the last few years. I am sure I am forgetting some location. Needless to say, this lifestyle isn't very conducive to baby making so I decided if I couldn't work at home, I just wouldn't work for awhile while we gave IVF a shot. SH works freelance, as well, so we both had to basically just take the year off. It ended up being worth it. We have used up our savings and now have a little lot more debt than we would like, but we can fix that. Because we want to try and stay together during my pregnancy, we decided that whoever got offered a job first would take it and we would both travel wherever we needed to go and I'll find a local OB. I drew the short straw on that one and in a couple of weeks we are headed to Detroit. Well, the greater Detroit area. Not exactly high on my list of places I want to spend 3 months (sorry if any of you live there or are from there) but work is work and now I won't lose my health insurance before I have these babies. My OB ok'd me to travel as long as I come home by about 28 weeks so that is what I am doing. Now we just have to figure out what to do with our pets while we are gone. 

  • On Saturday, I met, live and in person, Jenny aka Stupid Stork and Kharini of My Fertility Blog and we ate the most decadent red velvet pancake at a cafe full of cute young waiters and it was heaven. Just one pancake was needed because this pancake was bigger than my head. Thankfully, we were smart enough to order some protein to go with that or I would have been in a sugar coma for the rest of the afternoon. I really enjoyed meeting these two amazing, funny, and just really lovely ladies. It is so nice to sit and talk to people who get it and know what it's like. It's also fun to attach a face and real live person to a blog. Especially a blog that can be as personal as an IF blog.  My only concern is their insistence that, due to the size of my belly, I have a 3rd baby that they believe must be hiding behind a kidney or something and has so far not been noticed by my doctors.  I veto that idea. Veto.

  • Mother's Day. I haven't really celebrated Mother's Day in years because my mom doesn't live in the same city as me. I send a card and a gift and I call her, but there is no brunch or full day of activity celebrating mom. Because of that, I have managed to avoid feeling completely depressed every May because I pretty much just ignore that the day is happening. This year felt a little weird. I don't feel like I am yet entitled to really get a Mother's Day celebration and certainly didn't expect or want one, but I was more aware of it and aware of how different next year should will be. We ended up spending the day with my aunt and uncle who were never able to have children. She would have been such a great mother and instead became the aunt who spoils all of her nieces and nephews. She is throwing me a baby shower and it may be the shower to end all showers. Just our two families is already about 30 people and she told us we could invite as many friends as we want. It can be as big as we want. I could probably hand her a guest list of 100 people and she would say ok. (Sidenote: I do not have 100 people to invite nor do I want to invite 100 people to a baby shower). She brought us two baskets full of baby gifts and two really large boxes of newborn diapers. Plus, the card with the gift had a check in it that had an extra zero I was not expecting.  I am her first niece (she was only 12 when I was born) so I have a special place in her heart and she can't wait to spoil these babies. She also knew about our IVF as we were going through it so she was especially excited for us when it finally worked. My uncle even told me he was always happy when one of my cousins got pregnant but he is way more excited for us than he ever was for them. They know what it's like and they didn't get their happy ending and it breaks my heart. 

Well, I think that's all I can cover for now. I should probably get back to doing some work I am being paid for. At least I look busy with all this typing. 





11 comments:

  1. 1. You are VERY fancy. VERY.

    2. You are wonderful and all things delightful, but no. There is most certainly an extra one or two hiding somewhere. I poked you. My poke is full proof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to hear from you, and how sweet of your hubby to be concerned about us! I'm glad you are doing well and I'm sure you will find some fun things to do in Detroit, and maybe the move will give you inspiration about some new things to blog about since you said you are having a hard time thinking of things now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I hate to say I told you so, but I did wish a meeellion beeellion babies on you, so that's probably what's inside there. I am super jellies about your meet-up. Should you ever make your way to Hollywood North (what the Canadian film-types call Toronto) we can have our own red velvet pancake and everyone else will be jealous of US. OK I lie. I have no idea where we'd get one of those. I might have to make it. But we'd still have a kick-ass time. Also, your aunt and uncle sound super sweet, you're very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha triplets!!

    Your job sounds simultaneously tiring and glamorous. Sorry you have to follow your hubby to Detroit though. I actually lived in Michigan until I was ten, so I know what you're getting into. Ha. My grandmother lived in Dearborn (right outside of Detroit), which is a very weird community that was originally created so white people would have a place to live away from black people. Seriously. Anyhow, can you live in Ann Arbor? That's where I grew up. It's a pretty great town and not too far a commute to Detroit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear how you're doin'. Your aunt sounds amazing. So excited for your huge shower...that is awesome! You deserve it. And lastly, I too am super jealous of your meet up with the LA ladies. But most of all, I just want one of those delicious sounding pancakes. Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. good to hear an update from you! Detroit does not sound awesome, but working will help pass the time! Would love to hear some of the most (or least!?) glamorous parts of your job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there,

    I live in what many refer to as "the Detroit area"....and I can tell you where I live is beautiful, safe, and charming (Plymouth). Where are going to be working? Ann Arbor is where U of M is located and a wonderful area.

    Don't kick an entire area because it's described as Metro Detroit..... as Metro Detroit isn't Detroit at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You work in film production and you've never made it to Hollywood North, aka Toronto?? Let me know if you ever come wandering in this direction. Also, though, I went to Detroit a few years ago (disaster tourism, you could call it) and LOVED it. Seriously, that city is amazing -- kind of scary, sure, but we had awesome food, everything is super cheap, and there are a ton of cool 20- and 30-somethings trying to plant more veggie gardens and bring more art into the downtown core. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. SH IS adorable! Tell him thanks for having our backs ;) And of course, lovely to hear from you and know all is going well. I think you guys will have all kinds of fun in Detroit. My husband and I travel for long stints for work too, and there's always some random adventure to be had. The more unexpected, the better, so I'm thinking Detroit is a good place to start :)

    Also, I'm jealous that you got to meet bloggy friends in real life. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your job sounds very mysterious and intriguing. I, too, am jealous that you got to meet up with some bloggie friends. I might get that opportunity this summer and I can't wait! I love your stories about your aunt. I have a pretty special bond with my niece and I can only hope we can have the same type of relationship when she grows older. Good luck in Detroit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Helloooooo fellow Angeleno who is also preggers and works in that ever exciting and unpredictable world of production! I actually work on the development side, and animation at that, but its like we're sister cousins or something :-) I must infiltrate your next Red Velvet pancake excursion when you're back from Detroit!

    ReplyDelete