Saturday, June 15, 2013

Another year older

Yesterday I turned 39.

39?!?

I certainly don't feel like I am now less than a year away from 40.  How is that even possible?

This birthday was very uneventful. Normally, my birthday is the one day a year I want attention. Despite getting older (and despite the loudly ticking clock the last few years) I have always liked my birthday. This year, I just didn't care. Mostly it's because I am away from home and SH isn't here yet.  My co-workers are nice but we aren't exactly hang out outside of work type friends. And they are the only people I know here in Michigan. Any other year this would really bother me, but this year...meh. It didn't really "feel" like my birthday so I am ok spending my weekend relaxing. 

I think I am also just so grateful for how different this year is from last year. I feel like asking for anything beyond what I have right now is just being greedy. Last year I started stims for my first IVF on my birthday. I thought it was a good omen and was pretty confident it was going to work. I hadn't yet discovered this blogging community and the one couple I knew who had done IVF were successful on their first try with mediocre embryos and none to freeze. So, as far as I was concerned IVF would just work. Little did I know the roller coaster I had just strapped myself into. When that IVF was such a miserable failure, I started to think I would never get pregnant. To be here, just one year later, is more than I ever expected.

I know there are risks associated with being of "advanced maternal age", the media doesn't let us forget it, so I thought I would find the good things about being an older mother:

- The children of older mothers may have improved health and development in the early years.
- Older mothers have taller, thinner kids (perhaps I have a couple of olympic volleyball players? Or supermodels?)

Ok, so it was hard to find places that discussed good things about being an older parent without also being a little judge-y about waiting so long. Really, age is just a number and doesn't determine whether someone will be a good parent or not. So, I will just enjoy this time being pregnant and having my babies and not worry about the big 4-0 breathing down my neck.

17 comments:

  1. happy bday. I can only imagine pregnancy as the greatest bday gift ever. i started trying well before my 35th and i hope to at least see a positive line before 40!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!! I am SO glad that this year you have what you've wanted and that it's a million times better than last! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! Maybe you could treat yourself to an ice cream or a massage as a way to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! I am going to turn 39 in a couple of weeks and feel exactly the same way about approaching 40 next year.... where did the time go? So glad that you are not on the emotional roller coaster ride anymore and can truly enjoy the pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday! It sounds like you've already gotten your big wish...so hope you can just enjoy it. I have a friend who had twins on her 40th. She's been an amazing mom and her kids are amazing! Better than being a teen mom...I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday fellow Gemini!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday!! You are going to be a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday!!! You are going to be such a good mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday! I hope you enjoy your low-key weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday!! Glad this birthday is different than the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday! And boo to anyone who gets judge-y about older moms. Maybe some of us were well-equipped to have kids at 22, but I sure as hell wasn't. Hope you had some extra cake to feed all those babies inside you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awe, happy birthday. Some of my favorite people are Geminis. Enjoy your tall, thin children and screw the haters. My mom had babies at 41 and 44 (I originally said 43 but she corrected me, haha)... they're actually quite short, but they're also gorgeous and perfect. Thank God she didn't listen to that nonsense or we wouldn't have our family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday! I too started stims for my first IVF on my birthday last year! Silly me I thought it was a good omen. I'm also AMA and the thought of me having a tall child has me in stitches! Thanks for the giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday! 39 is the new 29 in my opinion... health is what matters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. happy birthday, jen. it's so nice to sit where i am and listen you you talk about where you were a year ago. it makes me feel quite a lot of hope. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday a few weeks late! I turn 39 this year also. I'm glad to hear my kids have a chance to be taller and thinner. I wouldn't mind an Olympic athlete or two! Lol

    ReplyDelete