Sunday, June 2, 2013

Greetings from suburbia!

I made it to Michigan and my temporary new home. Troy, to be exact.  I am living in suburbia, people! Don't get me wrong, it's very green and seems like a very nice, family community. But, I am a city girl. I like having places to walk and there is really nowhere for me to walk here. I could live with that if I had my own car, but I am sharing a car with two co-workers so it's going to take planning to get groceries or do anything. No just jumping in my car when I want something. No deciding at the last minute to see a movie or get a pedicure. Oh well. I did manage to get use of a car for most of the day yesterday. I was able to get some groceries and things to get myself settled in my place.

I also made it to my first prenatal yoga class. It was, strangely,  both the easiest and hardest yoga class I have ever done. Aside from walking my dog, that was the first exercise I had done in 4 months. The studio (or maybe just the teacher) is a little more new-agey than I like my yoga. (It was also more expensive than any yoga studio I have been to in LA. I thought things were supposed to be cheaper in the midwestern suburbs!) She had us all introduce ourselves and say how far along we are and how we are feeling. Then the last half hour was a guided meditation. I am not a fan of this and am pretty sure I fell asleep for part of it. I only hope I didn't start snoring! It was an hour and a half class and if there is only going to be exercise for the first hour than I would prefer to just be there for an hour. I will try the class again and see if it was something she does every once in awhile or if it's a weekly thing. I may just have to get a dvd. I did, however, have a moment while I was waiting for the class to start and I was looking around at the other very pregnant women and it felt so weird to be there and belong there and not have someone out me as an imposter. I admit, I started to tear up a little.

As for the baby update - I just hit 18 weeks (!) and am finally feeling better. The nausea is 95% gone. I still have my moments, but it's usually when I am really tired or haven't eaten. I can eat pretty much everything now even though nothing really sounds good. If you put food in front of me, I can eat it, just don't ask me what I want to eat. I did manage grocery shopping and fixing meals for my self this week. That's a huge step forward for me. I actually had a craving for an egg salad sandwich so decided to make that this weekend. I haven't eaten that in years so it was completely random. Can't deny myself in the rare times I actually want some sort of food these days. I also think I have a little more energy these days. Not a ton, but getting through the workday is getting easier.

The belly continues to grow and strangers now ask me when I'm due. Well, mostly people I don't know at work. So far actual strangers in public haven't really approached me. Not yet anyway. It always surprises me just a little. I mean, I look in the mirror and there is no denying this belly, but somehow I feel like no one else can see it. It's completely irrational.

Oh! I almost forgot the best part....I am starting to feel movement. It's still really light, kind of like bubbles are popping, but it's definitely baby moment. I feel it more some days than others but I am excited (and a little freaked out, to be honest) to feel more and stronger movements.

I think that covers it for the most part. My life gets pretty boring when I am working so I haven't really had much to update. I need to find some fun tourist-y things to do while I'm in the Detroit area. I have a friend who is a huuuuuuge Madonna fan (complete with tattoo of her on his back) and he really wants me to find her childhood home and take a picture for him. Other than that I really don't know what to do. I'm sure I'll figure out some way to fill my weekends. Anyone have any suggestions?

9 comments:

  1. so very exciting that you are feeling movement!!! sorry I am no help on Detroit...I was at the airport this weekend it was not a happy experience

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! What are you doing in Michigan and how long will you be there I'm a California transplant, but after living her for 6 years, I can't imaging how I'd handle living anywhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those first pops and twitches are so cool, aren't they?? I think i felt my first right around 18 weeks too. Fortunately, it all happens so gradually that by the time you start feeling (and seeing) actual limbs protruding your brain is not too jarred--although its still weird as hell sometimes! Can't wait to hear more about your Detroit adventures! If you like somewhat challenging yoga, I found "prenatal vinyasa yoga and short forms" to be just the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in suburbia (well, almost rural-ness), and I would totally go nuts if I didn't have a car. It's so different than being car-less in the city.

    As for the yoga, I feel like it's a very fine line between "yes, this is nice and calming" and "holy shit you people are wackos." My aunt says she doesn't do yoga because she believes in a separation between church and exercise. It is a kind of religion to some, and gets very preach-y. I hope you find a place with that kind of balance (and I would fall asleep meditating for that long, too).

    ReplyDelete
  5. That yoga class sounds a little strange. I've been going to one for a few months and we dont do any meditation. The very end relaxation part is a little longer than other classes I've been to though. At my class people write in their birth stories after having their babies and the instructor reads them. Sometimes it totally freaks me out.

    Yay for baby movements!! When do you have your anatomy scan?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baby movement...that sounds so cool! The not being mobile sucks a lot, though. No fun to have to rely on others to schedule errands, and not being able to just run out and do stuff when you want to. Is there a Zipcar or other rental place anywhere close that can do in a pinch?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it fun when people start actually noticing your pregnant? Also, congrats on the movement :)

    Random things to do in Michigan:
    Eat Superman Ice Cream
    Go to Ann Arbor
    See Lake Michigan (duh)
    Go up North to the UP (we used to have a cabin on Torch Lake)
    Explore Detroit. Drive through the old, sad parts (with doors all locked)
    Go to Cedar Point (ok, this is actually in Ohio)
    Enjoy the humidity (ha)
    Catch Lightening Bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wouldn't like being stuck w/o a car. Hopefully your time in Troy will go quickly. So exciting that you are feeling movement! I think that is so cool, although I agree, it's also a little creepy! Haha! It just boggles my mind that a woman's body can grow another human being inside them.

    ReplyDelete