Saturday, June 22, 2013

The latest

Today I am 21 weeks.

That seems crazy. The first trimester felt like an eternity with the nausea and constant anxiety. Now time seems to be flying by.

I'm feeling pretty good these days, much to my surprise. I'm still tired, but not falling asleep the minute I get home from work. Though, I'm still not sleeping very well. Most mornings I am awake before my alarm (sometimes as early as 5. ugh) I guess that's something I should get used to, but I thought I had a few months of sleep left. I am getting a lot of nosebleeds and they are getting worse. I sort of feel like my body just insists on bleeding and if I am not having a period it will find another orifice to bleed out of. Sometimes, it will start bleeding while I am in the shower and suddenly I feel like I am in the shower scene from Psycho. That's a fun way to start the morning.  I have round ligament pain off and on. Some days it's just a constant, dull ache that makes it hard to even lift my leg to get dressed. A new thing I just noticed when I got home from work last night is swollen ankles. They are better this morning, thankfully. Isn't it a little early for swollen ankles???

Last week I met my new (temporary) doctor here in Michigan. Did I mention I found him because he is the cousin of my OB back in LA? Pretty convenient. He seems nice. He's also very laid back about all the pregnancy restrictions. I told him I wake up a lot during the night and I'm always on my back despite going to sleep on my side. I keep reading dire warnings about never laying on your back, so of course this worries me. He said not to worry about it. It's really only an issue if there are complications or problems with blood flow.  He said if I am craving deli meat, I should have some. I can't say I ever crave deli meat, so I think I'll just continue to avoid it. I am a little worried I won't get as many ultrasounds with him. I was getting one at every appointment back in LA. This office only does them on Tuesdays and Thursdays and you have to be specifically scheduled for one. So, I won't be getting any at routine appointments anymore.

I did have my anatomy scan last week so I got to have a good long look at the babies. On my way to the appointment, out of nowhere, I suddenly realized I was going to vomit. Thankfully, I had a plastic bag in the car and was able to pull into the parking lot of some random office building. I had barely pulled into the driveway when I was puking up my bagel. I didn't feel at all sick before or after. I'm not sure where that came from. Enough of the grossness. The scan was good. The babies have all their parts and they are functioning properly. They are also both still girls. My only concern was the ultrasound tech. She seemed a little scattered. I am half convinced she measured the same baby twice.  At one point she even said she had been measuring "Twin 1" and had labeled her "Twin 2". Who knows how many times she did that. I'll just have to have faith that she knows what she is doing.  Normally, they always seem to be dancing around during an ultrasound, but this time they decided to nap. I had to get up and walk around a couple times to try and get them to move into a better position. I'm really just relieved that they are both healthy and growing.

That's about all that's going on with me. I work 10 or 11 hour days all week so I have just been relaxing on the weekends. Work has been pretty peaceful so far, but the craziness officially starts Monday. The cast and crew is here now and we start shooting in Detroit.  SH will be here on Thursday next week. I am so excited!!!! It's been almost a month since I have seen him. Once he gets here we will start exploring the Detroit area. So for now I'll take it easy while I still can.




14 comments:

  1. Glad you're doing well and that your hubby will be joining you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you are doing. well the updates are nice. i hope the rest of the 19 weeks or so are fun and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad everything is going well for you. You are halfway there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update, it's always good to know that things are going well with you four!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are doing great! I hope the ultrasound tech knew what she was doing, sounds like an interesting appointment. I've been cut off from ultrasounds lately too and not loving it. I will have one next week for the first time in 6 weeks. I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha oh man! If I get pregnant from this IVF, I am so glad I have vomiting and nosebleeds to look forward to :) Glad everything is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exciting!!! So glad to read your 20 week went great. And your doc sounds very level headed. I craved lox and deli meat from day 1 of pregnancy and felt guilty for eating it, but the risks are so so miniscule. Re: the nosebleeds. I got them bad in my second tri and they have gone in the third tri. I never had them before and it was so weird to see blood dripping all over the place! I'm dying to know what your role is on the production.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so glad everything is going well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. glad to hear the bebes are doing well! that ultrasound tech sounds like a gem. maybe our friends were right and you do have three lurking in there. a million bajillion babies, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on a great anatomy scan!! Weird about the bagel barf, but I'm sure it doesn't affect the twins... I'm so excited you're in Detroit, I love that city -- great BBQ, super cheap, amazing architecture in the most beautiful/tragic state of decay, MOTOWN!! Hope you have a great shoot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, 21 weeks already. Seems like its flying by! How come when it's ourselves though, it seems to be so slow? How awesome is it that you found a doctor that is actually related to your OB at home? Ironic. Hope you enjoy your adventures with your Hubby when he gets there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Once the 2nd trimester hit I had nasal congestion and nosebleeds galore. So far, it hasn't stopped. :-(

    Glad the 20 week ultrasound went well- other than the puking of course!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your doctor sounds great. It's especially interesting to hear about the "laying on back thing." I'm going to ask my midwife about it tomorrow as well, because it seems to me that your body would alert you before something bad started happening. I hear you on the ultrasounds though. My old doctor did an ultrasound at every appointment. The midwives, of course, don't. But, in the long run, the research is still mixed on frequency of ultrasounds, so it's probably a good thing.

    Also, about puking in the car. Sounds SO reminiscent of my first trimester. Oddly, just this morning I started feeling like it was going to happen again. My theory is it happens if you're especially tired or have low blood sugar? No idea...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad that everything looks good (and hoping the tech actually measured both twins...)
    Enjoy the time with your husband after being apart for so long!

    ReplyDelete