Monday, July 8, 2013

Twin-a-palooza

Fun fact: Between my husband, friends, coworkers and neighbors, I know 7 people who are twins who I see on a regular basis. Four of them are identical.

That seems like a lot to me.

I have always known these people are twins, but I never really thought much about it. Now, of course, I am hyper-aware of all things twin related and it really hit me this weekend. Over the course of the weekend, SH and I hung out with 2 different couples. All of them are twins. Except for the fact that I come with a set of twins in my belly, I was odd man out.  I think I asked SH at one point if this was the start of their diabolical plan for world domination.

(On a side note, the most interesting twins are the identical male twins where one is gay and one is straight. I find that completely fascinating. I feel like they should be part of a scientific study or something.)

I am almost starting to think that having twins was always my fate. Although, I don't know that I necessarily believe in destiny or fate. As an only child, I always wanted a sibling. I often asked my (single) mom for one. (See, spoiled only child thought she could get anything she wanted no matter how unreasonable.) At one point, I remember thinking, because I am a gemini, that I was supposed to have a twin and I was somehow cheated out of that. I really believed that for awhile.

Then I married a twin.

Now I am growing twins.

Seems a little like a theme.



These are the random thoughts of someone who didn't really get any sleep last night and is now ready for work too early and has time to kill.

7 comments:

  1. That is interesting!! i am puzzled as well about the fact that one of the identical twins is straight and the other one isn't... No it can't be a DNA issue... Maybe it's more about the soul and not the body. VERY interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny about the gay/straight twins. I know male twins, both of whom are gay, and I figured it's a good argument against anyone who argues that being gay is a "choice".

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of twins! The gay/straight identical ones sound particularly interesting indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool! I don't really believe in fate per se, but it kinda seems like these were *always* meant to be your babies...which of course they were :)

    I think there actually have been studies on gay/straight twins like the ones you mention (very interesting!), but it's pretty controversial, for obvious reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sure does seem like your destiny and a beautiful one at that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally interesting about the gay/straight identicals! Maybe they could make some extra cash participating in studies and really milk the twin thing... :) I once met twin brothers who had genetic testing done to prove that they were fraternal, not identical, but you seriously could NOT tell the difference between them -- so crazy how science works sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do know a lot of twins!!

    ReplyDelete