Monday, August 19, 2013

Home Sweet Home

Well,  mostly sweet.

Unfortunately, there have been a few bumps since I got back on Saturday.

  • I was locked out of my apartment when I first got here. We had let a friend borrow one of our cars while we were away and instead of just giving him the car keys, SH gave him my whole set of keys. Friend was supposed to drop the car off Saturday morning and leave the keys under the mat. Well, the car was parked out front and the keys were nowhere to be found.  (Did I mention I flew home alone? SH was driving back from Michigan and was probably somewhere in Nebraska at the time.) I called the neighbors who had been watching our cats and had keys to our apartment. They weren't home but probably would be within the hour.  Meanwhile, I really had to pee and had no way of getting to a bathroom. I couldn't drive my car without a key and I didn't want to leave my luggage sitting in front of my door while I walked over to Starbucks. Thankfully, I walked around back and saw the landlord's handyman was doing some work at our building. I asked him if he had keys. He didn't but said he could break into my apartment since my windows were open. He didn't have a ladder tall enough so he backed his truck under my balcony, put a table in the bed of the truck, then put a ladder on top of that and leaned it against my balcony. This did not seem at all like a good idea. At all. He managed to climb up safely, climbed through my window and opened the back door. Phew. I was in (and trying not to think of how easy it is for someone to break into my apartment when the windows are all left open during the summer). Turns out Friend left the car key in the house. But not the rest of the keys. I am not sure why because he obviously had my house keys to come in and leave the car key.  Anyway, the neighbors showed up not long after that and gave me their set of keys (and as a bonus cleaned the kitty litter one last time since they were worried about me doing it).
  • Though not entirely unexpected, my apartment was a kitty disaster zone. I swear there was an inch thick layer of cat hair covering all surfaces. Not to mention the various poo and vomit gifts they left throughout the apartment.  It's always fun to have to immediately clean when you get home from a long trip. I have made it through the first layer of fur and dust and will do a more thorough cleaning once SH is here and can help.
  • Once I got a handle on the fur and picked up enough groceries to get me through the next few days, I was ready to relax on the couch and start catching up on some shows on my DVR. Or just watch any channel besides the 10 I had in my hotel (5 of which were ESPN).  Then the TV wouldn't turn on. Our one and only TV. I called SH so he could help me troubleshoot. I tried everything we could think of, but obviously something is broken inside the TV. So here it is, Saturday evening, and there is no possibility of me getting a hold of any sort of repair person until Monday. My plans of doing nothing but being a couch potato (and not feeling guilty about it) were shot. I'm not gonna lie, I started crying. A lot. Over a broken TV. I know it's not the end of the world, but it's just one more expense we really don't need right now. I don't think it's going to be cheap to fix but I also don't have time to research and shop for a new TV so a repair will have to do.
  • Despite not being able to watch bad TV, I have managed to relax and get ready for the craziness of the next couple weeks. My mom and SH's mom and siblings (along with their families) will be here in a few days for our shower on Saturday. SH's sister and our niece are helping us with the nursery so there will be a lot of painting happening. I basically told them what I liked, what colors I wanted and a general theme and they are designing it from there. Part of me is happy about that because I do not have the interior designer gene, but part of me really hates giving up control and I'm afraid I'll hate it and have to live with it because I won't want to hurt their feelings. They both love to decorate, but I have to admit, their style is very different from mine.  SH stopped to see them on his cross country drive and picked up all the stuff they bought to decorate so I will get to see it in a few hours when he gets home.   He says they got some good stuff and he thinks I will like it.
So now I am just waiting for SH to get through LA rush hour traffic and get home. It will be nice to have the family back together again. The dog and the cats will be very happy to see him. Speaking of dog and cats, it must be dinner time since they are all hovering around and staring at me. 

9 comments:

  1. Oh, what an ordeal! I put so many extra locks on our windows, just to have our security alarm guy tells us "if someone wants to break in, they'll break in" I totally get about the hotels have a minimum of channels and all our ESPN, and yes I would totally cry about the broken TV. I'm gutted for you, I love those couch potato nights! Glad to have you back on the west coast,

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOOO! I totally get where you are coming from with the TV. My TV broke at one point and I had to send it out to get it fixed under the warranty, and I was legit worrying about how I would keep my sanity while it was gone. Saved by Buffy DVDs on my laptop! It's scary how much I love the moving picture box. Glad you're back safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes. Not exactly how you want to come home after a long time away!! I hope that your tv is just a simple fix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite all that, I'm glad you're home!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, that is certainly not a nice home coming!! I hope you are able to relax soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a disaster!! Welcome home though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's alwaysso nice to be home, but oy. That does not sound like a very relaxing homecoming at all! I'm sorry you had so much to deal with. I would have cried to at that point. Glad you made it safe and sound though, and hopefully things have now settled down some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a homecoming! I don't blame you for indulging in some tears! Hope you and SH got everything sorted and were/are able to relax a bit before the family descends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, poor thing, I would have started crying too! Not fair for a pregnant woman with twins :( You can always call me and come watch TV with me :) Anytime.

    Thanks for you comment on my blog. The me being old has been bothering me lately so you telling me I look younger made me feel a lot better :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete