Sunday, August 4, 2013

Where am I? What day is it?

I apologize. I have been a very negligent blogger lately. My life has, quite literally, been taken over by alien robots (um, that is a huge clue to the movie I am working on).

Work has been incredibly busy. I am working 12 hour days and still feel so behind on all the work I have to do. I.am.exhausted. However, there is a light at the end of the tunnel - I only have 2 more weeks of work and then I get to go back to LA. Yay! As much as I like the paycheck, I am ready to go home, sleep in my own bed and hang out with my pets. Also, I really miss my DVR. I have so much TV to catch up on when I get home.

SH has been in Michigan with me and I even managed to get him a job on the movie. It's worked out very well, actually. It's not a job he normally does, but the hours are easy so he's getting to go play golf after work since it stays light so late here and he is loving that.  We have tried to do some sightseeing but have been limited because I just don't have the stamina I normally do. We spent an afternoon in Ann Arbor, went to a Tigers game, took a tour of Motown (one of my favorite things we did), and did the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village.  Last weekend we topped it off with a weekend trip to Niagara Falls. I had never been and it's only a few hours away so off we went. My plan was to buy some cu.ban cigars while we were in Canada for when the babies get here, but SH chickened out and was worried about crossing the border.  So, all I got to bring back was some maple syrup. There are some more things we could do, but I feel like I need to start taking it easy now. I have a lot to do when we get home so I feel like I need to rest up in preparation for that. I don't want to overdo it.

Now, the baby update...

This weekend I am 27 weeks, which puts me in the 3rd trimester. That is completely unbelievable to me. The 2nd trimester (and this summer) completely flew by. I have so much to do to get ready for these babies that I hope the 3rd trimester doesn't go by as fast. I think the brief "honeymoon" period I have had for the past 8 weeks or so are coming to an end.  I am getting more and more tired, my ankles are starting to swell, and it's just in general getting harder to move around easily. I am definitely waddling instead of walking now.  Oh, and the heartburn. Can't forget the heartburn. As tough as pregnancy (and a twin pregnancy) can be, I am still so grateful and amazed that I am actually here. I get surprised sometimes when I walk by a mirror and see my huge belly. It still feels so surreal to me. When I run into co-workers in the hall that I don't know, they'll ask me when I'm due and I always think they are asking "What do you do?" Like, what department are you in on the movie. I don't know why it seems to take a minute to register when people ask me a question about my pregnancy. I guess it goes back to me still not always believing that this is actually real and happening.

I had my last OB appointment at 25 weeks 4 days. I was measuring 31 weeks. I think I have only gained about 25 pounds and it's still all belly (thanks, mom, for the good genes). The babies are right on track. Baby A is measuring a few days behind Baby B, but nothing to worry about. I told SH that, of course Baby A is smaller. She is definitely the more active of the two so she is burning off all those calories. The best news is they both turned and are no longer breech. They are both (finally!) head down and I am really, really hoping they stay that way. They move around a lot. I think they probably get each other going. Sometimes it feels like a dance party in there. The weirdest part is that I can see them move. I can just watch my belly move around. It's cool and amazing and  a little creepy all at the same time.

I also had my 1-hour glucose test at that appointment. I failed. Ugh. So I had to go back for the 3-hour test. I felt awful during the one hour test from the sugary drink you have to have. I actually almost passed out. And I was able to eat before that test. For the 3-hour test I would have to fast and the drink would have twice as much glucose. Add in 4 blood draws in 3 hours and I was just a ball of anxiety in the days leading up to the test. I was honestly more worried about the test than I was about having gestational diabetes. For someone who has a needle phobia, this seemed like the ultimate form of torture. If I was ever taken prisoner, all they would have to do is threaten to torture me by sticking a needle in me every hour and I would talk. I would spill all the secrets. All of them. In the end, it wasn't as bad as I anticipated. For some reason, while I didn't feel great, I didn't get as sick from the drink this time and I made it through all the blood draws just fine. And I passed! No GD for me. So happy and relieved.

Now I need to get caught up on reading all of your posts. Slowly getting there.

8 comments:

  1. great to see you back on here and with an update. here is to good sailing for the rest of your weeks preggo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you work those long days! It's all I can do to get through my 7 hour work days, let alone 12, and to top it off with site seeing. You are amazing! So glad you passed the GD test. You now have me a little anxious for mine. I didn't realize it included all the blood draws. Ugh! Good luck in your last 2 weeks of work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for 27 weeks! I understand the work thing...I've been doing the same. Negligent! Glad the movie you're working on is almost "wrapping". Isn't that what they say in Hollywood?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greenfield Village! Wow I think I went there on a fieldtrip when I was a kid growing up in Michigan. Didn't they have the chair that Lincoln was shot in, or am I making that up? Random.

    I totally agree with you about the 2nd trimester honeymoon coming to an end. I can feel things getting harder. My body isn't cooperating as much. I'm getting tired and distracted again. I feel a bit nauseous in the mornings again (damn). But oh well. My plan is to take sick days since I trudged through the first tri without taking any.

    I commented back to you on my blog that it's funny how parallel our timelines are. Where do you live in LA? Maybe we should meet up sometime either pre- or post-babies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am only slightly offended that you were as close to Toronto as Niagara Falls and didn't tell me. Also, I was in Maine, so you get a pass. But if it happens again, you shall be forever shunned. Rant over. ;) I can't believe you are in your third trimester! Seems like no time ago you were wondering if anything was going on in your uterus after your IVF. Ah, memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great to hear from you1 thanks for teh update! so glad you assed the GD!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay third trimester! Yay for no GD! Yay for going home soon!

    All good things- other than the swelling and the heartburn. I have been having both of those fun symptoms for a few weeks now and I'm still in the 2nd trimester!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg isn't Motown awesome?? I loved that place! So happy you made it across the border, too... I have to say, I've never thought of Canada as being an opportunity to buy Cuban cigars, but I guess that sorta makes sense. It's just too bad that Niagara is a bit of a dump (next time you have to come all the way to Toronto!). :)

    Congrats on making it to the 3rd trimester - I love how we're meant to "relax" now that we've made it this far, and yet it's the most difficult stage to actually, physically, relax on account of all the heartburn and ankle swelling. Oh, irony.

    ReplyDelete