Monday, September 9, 2013

32 weeks

On Saturday, I hit 32 weeks. That's insane. Where did the time go? These babies are going to be here before I know it (though hopefully not for at least another 4 weeks).  While I can't wait to meet them, I am also not quite ready for them. In addition to what feels like a never ending list of things still to do, I haven't even found a pediatrician yet. Time needs to slow the fuck down.


Needless to say, it's been a whirlwind since I got back to LA.

First was our baby shower. My aunt hosted it at her house and, as I knew she would, went completely over the top with the whole thing. The decorations, the catering, the party favors.... all just so great. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures and I think the only pictures other people took were of us opening presents. Total fail. I was so overwhelmed by it all that I just didn't have time to worry about taking pictures. Also, I was supposed to show up early but because of traffic showed up at 2:00 when it was supposed to start. I thought I would still have time to look around and take it all in but people started showing up immediately. I didn't even have time to put my purse down before a stream of people started walking in.  Everyone was so generous and it was so great to have so many friends and family there. I have a really hard time being the center of attention so the day was also a challenge for me. The gift opening portion of the party was the hardest for me, but I made it through. I also feel like I didn't really have a chance to talk to everyone as much as I would have liked, but I guess that's the nature of these kinds of things. Overall, it was a good and exhausting day.

My mother and my in-laws came into town for the party. My mom stayed with us and that is a challenge that deserves it's own post at some point. Basically, our relationship is not the greatest right now and on the day of my shower she wanted to talk about it. I calmly told her that I didn't want to have that discussion. Not right before my baby shower. Seriously? Worst time ever for that. She got all upset about it and threatened to go home because she wouldn't be able to enjoy herself at the party. Started packing her bag and everything. SH managed to distract her and convince her to stay. Everything about these babies she makes about her and she keeps telling me how much I will need her help. When I told her I was pregnant, I think she was happier for herself finally getting to be a grandmother than she was for me. She is planning on moving back to LA after the babies are here, but wants to stay with us indefinitely while she looks for a place to live and helps us with the babies. We can barely get along when she is here for 3 days so I am not sure why she thinks practically moving in would be a good idea - especially since we no longer have a guest room. I know having 2 babies is going to be hard and everyone tells us to accept all the help we can, but I don't think that someone living on my couch in my relatively small apartment is really the answer. It sounds like a disaster if you ask me. Ugh. Okay - rant over.

Since the shower, it has just been non-stop baby prep. We took a couple classes on parenting and breastfeeding twins. We are trying to get the nursery finished. We start interviewing pediatricians this week. It's all baby prep all the time. Since we were in Michigan all summer, we weren't able to do any of this stuff so we feel like we are trying to catch up.  Maybe we need to slow down and go see some movies while we still can.

In baby news, they are both doing great. Measuring right on track and both still head down. The only bad thing is even though I technically passed the glucose test, I was apparently borderline. Once I saw my OB in LA and he saw the results, he put me on a diabetic diet. Less carbs, more protein. I am still going to splurge and have some ice cream every once in awhile (since I don't actually have diabetes) but otherwise I am being good and following the diet.  Considering my stomach is super squished and I barely seem to eat anything, it shouldn't be too hard.

I think that's enough rambling for now. I really need to try and post more often.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! 32 weeks! Sounds like you are doing pretty awesome carrying those babies! Your aunt sounds amazing. How great of her throwing you that shower. I am so excited to have a baby shower, but I also don't really enjoy the whole idea of being the center of attention either. It's a weird combination when you are so excited to get a bunch of baby stuff, but don't want to open gifts in front of anyone. I'm sorry your relationship with your Mom is strained. I wouldn't have wanted to hash it out right before my showers either! And then she was going to go home? Ugh. I can kind of relate to not wanting her around ALL the time once the babies are born. I'm a little petrified of my MIL. We don't have a strained relationship, but she can be wayyyyyy too over the top for me and I have no doubt she will be. I'm glad you are still enjoying your ice cream every once in awhile. I've had a bowl of ice cream almost every night. It's one of the few foods I actually enjoy right now. I'm so afraid that will come to a crashing halt soon if I come down with GD. Good luck with these next few weeks! Hopefully those babies hang tight for a little while longer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Didn't realize I wrote such a book. Sorry!

      Delete
  2. You will be stressed out enough without mommy popping in and making it all about her. Tell her - for the sake of your relationship - in no uncertain terms that she can not stay with you while she finds a place to live. Period, end of discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 32 weeks?!?! Holy moly!! So exited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Lydia, having someone in your house that will stress you out more than help you isn't a good idea while trying to navigate motherhood with two newborns. I think telling your mom that she's welcome after you and your husband have gotten into a routine is perfectly acceptable (you know, assuming you want her there.)

    I can't believe you're 32 weeks already! I hope that in the craziness of trying to get ready for the babies, you guys can take a moment to relax!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It definitely sounds like your time in Detroit put a bit of a delay in your planning, which sucks. But you'll get caught up. Just think back to the days when people didn't even know they were having twins until two babies popped out. They managed. ;) And I agree with others that if having your mom around will cause you more stress than less, don't do it. This is SO not about her and her precious feelings. Do what's right for you and SH and the meeelion babies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha! the cat! Congrats on 32 weeks. My God, where has the time gone?!

    ReplyDelete