Wednesday, September 11, 2013

An unexpected day

This morning I had a routine appointment with my OB and had no reason to believe anything unusual was going on. I was planning on talking to him about delivery and epidurals and all that. Not really a birth plan - just wanting to know all the possibilities since my needle phobia makes me slightly more afraid of getting an epidural than birthing twins drug-free.  He did a quick ultrasound just to check on them (he does one every office visit and I love that about him) and seemed concerned that Baby A was really low. That, of course, started to make me worried. He checked my cervix after that and it turns out I am 2-3cm dilated.  Say what?!?!? I have been having contractions but they never hurt and I have been feeling them for months. I had told him about the contractions and he just said to call if I have more than 5 in an hour. A far as I know, I haven't had that many but they never hurt so maybe I didn't always notice.

Anyway, he said he would like me to go to L&D to be monitored for 24 hours. I asked "Right now?" (as if I could schedule it for a more convenient time). So here I am spending the night in the hospital. I am so happy we already took the hospital tour! Made getting here and checking in much less stressful. I am hooked up to monitors. They gave me the first of two steroid shots that will help develop the lungs in case these babies decide they can't wait any longer. They started to give me magnesium to reduce the "uterine activity" then switched to something else. Whatever it is, is working. I am feeling less contractions than when I first got here. I am also getting antibiotics since infection can apparently trigger preterm labor. I am just being pumped full of all sorts of things.

At this point, I have no idea how long I will be here. I am hoping my OB thinks I can be on bed rest at home. He did say 24 hours, after all. He wants me to make it at least another 2 weeks and I really can't imagine being in the hospital on bed rest for that long.

I am actually surprisingly calm about the whole thing. I have (obviously) never been in labor or had a baby, but somehow I just don't feel like these babies are coming right now. They will certainly be here earlier than I thought, but not right now.  We aren't totally ready for their immediate arrival but we're close enough and we'll figure it out. We have no other choice, right?

Some good things:

-I have a private room with wifi

-Both babies are still head down so it's looking likely that I will at least get to try a vaginal delivery

-I can lay down and get an epidural. The only way I am able to manage the physical reaction I have to needles is to lay down whenever I get an injection or blood draw. It was freaking me out that I would have to be sitting up for the epidural. I was sure I would pass out and that can't be good while you're in labor. I have been reassured by my OB and the nurses that I can lay on my side for this. Yay!

I'll keep y'all posted!

12 comments:

  1. Oh my! I am fearful of getting an edidural also. Have been forever! I've watched my sister give birth w/o one for 2 of her kids, so I was pretty sure I could handle it. But now with twins, I'm pretty resigned to needing the epidural. I was told you pretty much need to have it bc of the higher risk of complications. Glad both babies are still head down for you! That's my other fear! Having my stomach cut open. I shudder at the thought. I hope that you are able to go home tomorrow and those babies decide to hang out a little while longer. I'm so excited for you and can't wait to see them, but I can be patient since its still a little early. You seem to have a great attitude. I hope I can handle all this with as much grace when it's my turn! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Oh my goodness! Yes - keep us posted!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cervix -you hold onto those babies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh!! Good luck Mama, I hope you can keep cooking them a while longer!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I hope that everything checks out today and you're able to go home. My fingers are crossed that your babies will stay in for a couple more weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Jen! Just...wow. Cross your legs and keep them in a little bit longer. Glad they're taking good care of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh this is exciting. I hope they stay in there, but still... exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck. I hope you are able to go home after 24 hours. It's great you are getting the steroid shots, I wish I had been able to. Glad your ob is being proactive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you are already out of the hospital! Stay in there babies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope those babies stay in there for a few more weeks! It's great that you're feeling so calm. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eek! Can't believe this news... man, you are so lucky that your OB is on top of things with these regular ultrasounds, and it sounds like things are definitely in control at this point. It's just a matter of how much longer you can hang in there. I'm happy to hear you're remaining calm and were able to score a private room. Keep thinking good thoughts and all will be OK, regardless of when the babes choose to arrive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhh so sorry I'm behind in commenting on this! It's been a few days since you wrote this. Update us! What is going on?? On the same day you posted this, I had a friend on FB (31 weeks with twins) who had her babies and all is well. BUT I hope yours are still inside and growing. Thinking of you!!

    ReplyDelete