Thursday, October 31, 2013

I should charge admission

I expected that being out with twin babies would attract attention and comments. I sort of get it. Twins are interesting. Personally, I have never gotten especially excited when I saw twins out in the world, but I did notice them. Maybe being married to an identical twin takes some of the novelty out of it. Who knows.

What I didn't expect was just how much attention we would get. I have to be honest, I didn't get the attention and unsolicited belly rubs from strangers that I was told to expect when I was pregnant so I sort of thought maybe the twin attention thing was more talk than reality.

I couldn't have been more wrong!!

Yesterday we ventured out to The Grove/Farmer's Market for lunch and to take my computer to the apple store (to make sure I didn't ruin it by spilling breast milk on it). This is a very popular and touristy place in LA so it's always pretty crowded. We live in walking distance so it's a nice easy way to get out of the house with the babies without the hassle of getting them in and out of the car. As we sat eating at some outdoor tables, I think about 90% of the people who walked by made some sort of comment about twins. "Look twin babies...awwww". Some actually stopped to talk to us (and not just about us) and ask questions. It's really weird to hear everyone who walks by make comments about you. One older woman just stood behind me and stared into the stroller at them. One woman with 6 year old twins told us it really does get easier. SH said he saw a Japanese tourist take a picture of us. (Really? That is just weird). 

We have gotten comments and questions before when we have gone out, but yesterday I felt a little bit like a side show. It felt like everyone we passed was whispering about us. I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. I was sort of in shock. SH had to laugh and said "welcome to my world". He has been dealing with this his entire life and I am just now understanding that. His brother lives in another city so I don't witness them being out in public together all that often. I had only seen very little of how fascinated people can be with twins - especially identical twins. I am hoping because Paige and Riley are fraternal, and so far look quite different, that it won't be as bad for them as they are growing up. I want them to feel like individuals and not like some sort of attraction. I guess managing this is just an extra challenge to raising twins. I think it's definitely helpful that their father is a twin and can understand what they will deal with everyday.

This is all very new and weird for me, but it's not really a bad thing. It will be hard for me because I don't really like talking to strangers. I guess I'll have to learn to be better at that. Learning to be a little more open is probably good for me. 

6 comments:

  1. I guess it's good that SH has experience with this, so he can help you guys learn to deal with people being idiots! My brother and sister are fraternal twins and as best as I can remember, they never attracted a lot of attention because eventually people didn't even know they were twins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see that happening already. I get asked on a daily basis if twins run in our family. When I tell them no, the next question is always "oh! So they are a surprise then?" No, not really. We knew it was a possibility. People just don't understand. I appreciate you writing about this and helping prepare those of us with twins to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I can relate to this post so much. I had a hard time with all the attention and still do. That part hasn't gotten easier for me. I have learned to just smile and try and keep conversation as short as possible. I heard a tip once that if you are running an errand with both twins and you want to avoid attention. But one of the twins in a carrier and put the other car seat in the shopping cart and cover it with a blanket (I suppose this may really only work if the twin in the car seat is sleeping). People assume that the car seat is for the twin in the carrier. We've never tried it but seems like it makes sense to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twins are fascinating! My best friends are identical twins and it's so wonderful how two people that look exactly alike can be so different! Your girls will have the best of both worlds- a sibling that is closer than a sibling, a best friend, but they will also have their individuality as well. I can only imagine the adoring looks and comments you received when you were out- I'm glad you have your husband who totally understands!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is kinda wierd. Personally, I have never understood all the public curiosity that surrounds pregnancy and babies (and the carte blanche strangers seem to think they have to, like, *invade your personal space*), so I can only imagine it would be more full-on with twins. Then again, it is all the cuteness, times two!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to be the center of attention when you don't want to be. Hopefully SH can help navigate this new road (cluttered with curious bystanders). I'm sure you'd get lots of attention with either one of them alone, since they're both so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete