Wednesday, November 13, 2013

"Do you need birth control?"

That's what my OB asked at my appointment yesterday.

Um....

Obviously, it's a question he has to ask, but it was all I could do to keep from laughing. I told him it probably wasn't necessary considering how long it took for me to get pregnant this time. He didn't try to convince me otherwise, but he did say "You never know". Then he cautioned me against getting pregnant too soon. Again, trying not to laugh. I am assuming it's not wise to get pregnant while your uterus is still healing from major surgery. I understand his concern, but I think my body needs a break from all the hormones. I also don't want to mess with my milk supply. I just told him I'd let him know when I need it.

I'm not really worried that I am going to get pregnant again. My eggs haven't gotten any younger over the last year and SH's sperm hasn't gotten any faster. But, there is a delusional part of my brain that is thinking it could happen and maybe I should be careful. I could get that miracle post-infertility "oops" pregnancy. I'm happy with two kids so it's not even like I'm looking to get pregnant again. I certainly won't do any sort of treatment again. I would be at least 40 for any future pregnancy. Despite everything, I guess I still have that hope of just getting pregnant like a normal person. I think I just want to know what that feels like.

Sigh.

5 comments:

  1. My MIL is of the opinion that pregnancy "resets" your body and that if IVF works we might end up getting naturally pregnant later. I have resisted telling her that "resets" would have to mean "gets in a time machine and goes back several years to before my eggs were shitty". Plus at this point we're going to be lucky to get pregnant even with science! On a positive note, if you have an oops baby and you don't want it, I'll take it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny... I've told my husband a million times since dealing with IF that I will NEVER use birth control ever again. I feel like lots of people will tell stories of someone who dealt with infertility and who finally got pregnant after multiple IVF's... and then they miraculously got pregnant on their own a second time. I feel like that happens as often as the person who goes through years of infertility and ends up getting pregnant naturally... Everyone knows someone who that happens to... thing is, how come that person that everyone knows can't be me?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Everything you said. I'm struggling with the same thoughts, but I really don't want to deal with endo pain either. I feel like not being in birth control should be our infertility silver lining. The happy thought, ya know? But it would still be nice to be "the person who got pregnant after IVF." Anywho, good luck with your decision making!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya. My husband seems to think that I will magically become pregnant next November- only a year after giving birth. HA. I would like to think that we could become pregnant naturally when we are ready, but know that it is most likely going to be from our one frozen embryo or another IVF cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If/when the day comes that I get asked that question, I probably WILL laugh. I mean, I had to use donor eggs to get pregnant this time AND my husband has crappy sperm. I don't think we'll ever have to worry about getting pregnant naturally, but if it did happen, I wouldn't be complaining....

    ReplyDelete