Monday, December 23, 2013

3 months

Ok, it's really more like 3 months and 1 week, but...close enough. The passage of time is a very weird thing right now. We are basically living our life in 3-hour increments.  Everything we do revolves around feeding the babies and what we can do between feedings (shower? groceries? nap? cleaning?). Sometimes, I can't believe they are 3 months old already. Other times I wonder how they can only be 3 months. Being in the hospital feels like a lifetime ago.

Having preemies is a challenge as far as developmental milestones. They should be hitting all the milestones based on their due date and not their birth date, which puts them 7 weeks behind. I am trying not to google or read any parenting books to see where a "normal" 3 month old should be. I have a vague idea of what they should be doing, but I am trying not to stress too much about it. Our pediatrician will ask us at our appointments if they are doing certain things (smiling, cooing, etc) and usually we say no, but within a couple weeks they do it. So, it seems like they are behind the curve as far as birth date and ahead of it based on due date. The really hard part is we essentially had a very extended newborn phase. In the last couple weeks, they finally started cooing and smiling and responding to us and it is so amazing. It was a very one sided relationship up until then, which at times, could be frustrating. Especially when we are up at all hours. Don't get me wrong, newborns are sweet and snuggly and adorable, but after 2 months I needed something back from them. Why is it so gratifying to get a baby to smile at you?

They pretty much hate tummy time. Especially Paige. With a passion. I think she gets her dislike of exercise from me. She will tolerate it for about a minute before she starts fussing. I try to let her work it out for awhile, but then she just starts screaming and burying her face in the blanket. Then it takes a good 20 minutes to calm her down again. I end up not giving them enough tummy time because of that. They do a little better when we lay them on our chests. They are still managing to get stronger as far as holding up their heads, though.

Riley is having bad problems with reflux. Sometimes, it seems like she is spitting up everything she eats and she is doing it all over our couch. I feel like I need a hazmat suit to sit on the couch now. She is definitely in pain for a lot of her feedings and we have to struggle to get her to eat 2 ounces while Paige consistently eats 3 1/2 - 4 ounces each time. We thought there was no way she gained enough weight between her 2 and 3 month appointments. But, she surprised us and gained over 2 pounds! I don't know how it's possible. At their 2 month appointment, they both weighed 8lb2oz (they were also the same length. crazy, right?) and weren't even on the growth chart. At their 3 month appointment, Riley weighed 10lb6oz and is in the 6th percentile and Paige weighed 10lb13oz and is in the 10th percentile. Rock stars! So, obviously the reflux isn't hurting her growth so we got some zantac to help her with the pain. Unfortunately, she hates it because it is peppermint flavored. The pharmacy tried to cover it up with grape but it's still really minty. I can't imagine any baby would like peppermint, but who knows. She has only been taking it for a few days so we don't know yet if it's working.

Sleep is getting a little better. We now get about 5 solid hours a night. The sleep from about 1am - 6 or 7. It's fantastic. I sleep so deeply now. I used to not sleep very well at all.  I would toss and turn and wake up throughout the night. Now I am dead asleep the second my head hits the pillow and I don't move all night. I actually went to brush my hair the other morning and didn't even need to. Not a single tangle since I didn't move all night. I am hoping we can soon get rid of the midnight/1am feeding and get them sleeping all night.  That will be positively dreamy. They are still sleeping in our room in the rock n plays. I'm not sure when or how we will transition them to their cribs, but I know we probably need to do it soon.

Our biggest problem right now is their heads are getting flat. They both favor their right and always lay with their heads turned to the right. Riley has a flat spot on the right side of her head that we hope can be fixed with just repositioning her head. She isn't really that bad. Paige also has the flat spot on the right, but also the back of her head seems really flat. Her head is in much worse shape. Our pediatrician recommended a moon pillow so I bought that and a noggin nest to see if those help. She wants us to give it one more month of using the pillow and keeping them off their heads before we try anything more drastic. I really hope this works because I would hate for either of them to need to wear the helmet.

That's basically where we are at 3 months. It's been amazing, wonderful, exciting and pure bliss. It's also been exhausting, frustrating, overwhelming and scary. I find myself in this weird place of being excited to watch them grow and discover new things, but sad that they are growing up and won't be little babies for very long. They finally got too big for their newborn clothes and it made me a little sad to clear all those clothes out and bring out the 3-6 month wardrobe. It's crazy that just a couple months ago the newborn clothes were way too big for their tiny little bodies.

Also, I'm not gonna lie - I sometimes miss my old life. I miss being able to be spontaneous. I miss deciding we want to go out to eat and leaving the house 5 minutes later. I miss being able to watch a tv show or movie without having to pause it to tend to a fussing baby. I miss sleep. But, I wouldn't go back. I wouldn't change anything.

Here are some pictures from 1 to 3 months. Riley is on the left and Paige is on the right. People always ask us how we tell them apart. SH tells them that Paige is blond and Riley has darker hair. I just tell people it isn't an issue because they don't actually look anything alike. At least, I don't think so.




So tiny!
Synchronized baby squirming
Yeah! We made it onto the growth chart!



Multitasking. SH just took this picture of me writing this post.

7 comments:

  1. They are adorable! They look like little porcelain dolls :). Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they look a lot alike!! I'm sure there looks will change even more as they get older. Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God Jen, they are so adorable and it sounds like you guys are doing an amazing job as parents. They are some lucky girls so have you two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So amazing to see how they've changed in three months!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your girls are adorable. The whole "due date vs birth date" thing has always confused me with preemies. I think you should just let them go at their own trajectory and now that it evens out the older they get. I'm jealous of the 5 hours a night of sleep thing. Owen is back on every 2-3 hours. Sigh.

    Anyhow, I'm commenting also to ask you if you want to meet up in January? Melissa (from Cease and Decyst) and I are planning on meeting up possibly on the 25th of January. If you're interested, email me at niemashl@gmail.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love this post. I love reading about the different things that you are experiencing with your twins, in hopes that it will help me to be prepared for things to come! It sounds like your girls are doing amazing and that you are as well. They are adorable. I especially love the last pic where you are doing an amazing job of multi tasking!

    ReplyDelete