After finally getting over all the crazy emotions of their early delivery and time in the NICU, I found myself getting sad over their milestones. Everything seemed so bittersweet - growing out of their newborn clothes, smiling, cooing - because it's so unlikely that I will have another baby and this is the only time I will get to experience these "firsts". I was really missing the tiny preemies I brought home. Then I was getting sad because I was sad. I wanted to just be happy and I couldn't understand why I wasn't. Now? I am finally finding that happiness. Even the bittersweet feelings have passed (though I am sure I will go through that again at times) and I am reveling in all the new things they do. I am loving how much they interact with us now. I feel such pride when they smile and giggle or actually manage to grab a toy.
Some things that make my heart melt...
- Sometimes when Paige is upset, I can calm her just by holding her hand.
- I find it hilarious that such tiny humans can have such loud farts.
- When I put them on their tummies on the boppies and let them face each other they start smiling and cooing and it sounds like they are having a conversation.
- Riley's legs start kicking a mile a minute when we put her down on her back. It's like she's trying to run a marathon.
- When I pick them up now, they will wrap their tiny arms around my arm or my neck. If they are really tired they will snuggle their head into my neck.
- How determined they look as they try to figure out how to grab their toys and how tight they hold on once they get it.
- Riley's pout right before she starts to cry. It's the cutest and saddest thing. That is going to be hard to say no to when she is older.
- The giant smiles when we get them out of bed in the morning.
I could go on and on, but that would probably only be interesting for me. I just felt the need to put something positive on this blog. I only seem to write about the negative feelings. So, here is some happiness. And some pictures.
|Ready for the Super Bowl!|
|What do you mean this isn't the right way to sleep in this thing?|
|Tummy time rockstars! Paige finally got on board.|